Pakistani beer.

Yes, I've tried it and it was OK. The same company also makes a Pakistani whisky.

I had it in Pakistan when I worked there for a year or so. It was available to non-muslim foreigners. Expats who lived there could buy an allowance every month. It was also available to Pakistanis who weren't muslims, those who are christian, hindu or animist.

It was a pain buying it in the hotel. You had to fill in a form with all your details and then room service would return once the form was approved to photocopy your passport. Then you would pay and half an hour later they would bring your beer to your hotel room.

If you wanted another then you would have to go through the whole rigmarole again!

I was working there with a colleague who was of Pakistani/Indian descent, born in Sheffield. He wasn't a practising muslim, but he had a muslim name and they refused to serve him alcohol just on the basis of his name despite his protestations that he wasn't a muslim! I had to buy all his beers for him...

LOL, Your pal had you round the corner there mate.

You couldn't make it up, Islam prohibits alcohol and as far as I was aware any money made from alcohol is also haraam so even though it is for export to non muslim countries any money made is haraam. :huh:

I can't see the prime minister giving final approval for this.

Ah lovely. The thought that a state with a majority religious demographic should restrict the freedoms of a minority demographic. Doesn't it just make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Yes folks, Christopher Hitchens was right, religion really does poison everything.

Ah lovely. The thought that a state with a majority religious demographic should restrict the freedoms of a minority demographic. Doesn't it just make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Yes folks, Christopher Hitchens was right, religion really does poison everything.

But at least the rest of the population will know who the minorities are. They are the one's working in the breweries.

Archived