"Big Man" Charged for throwing yob off

So the deterrent for fare dodging is £10 …

The last I checked, yes Or at least, if you try to buy a ticket on the train that you should have bought at the station, it will cost you £10 plus a full standard fare. If you're caught actually trying to fare dodge entirely, you can be prosecuted and the penalties would be higher.

In Germany, the cost of being found on the train without a valid ticket is something like a thousand pounds, and they don't have much trouble with fare dodgers. I don't know why that should be. :D

I have done time for assault a few times because some numpty tried it on and got a good beating back.

I know what self defence is according to the law so please don't make out like I don't know what I'm talking about.

My last sentence was for causing GBH to someone who the police accepted had been looking for me with a machete and had struck me on the head with an iron bar first.

It was accepted as mitigation but not as self defence.

I didn't get provocation accepted as part of my defence either because the force I used was not reasonable.

Yes and your previous behaviour and associations.

In Germany, the cost of being found on the train without a valid ticket is something like a thousand pounds, and they don't have much trouble with fare dodgers. I don't know why that should be. :D

And they catch 'em. On the Munich U-Bahn, as soon as the doors close, two or three plain clothes inspectors are liable to get up and start inspecting. Saw it many times in the late seventies.

Not quite...

Sixty Euros on buses, trams, Metro and regional trains. On long distance trains double ticket price, but at least 60 Euros. Offenders can, in some cases also have criminal charges pressed against them which may carry a further fine.

Greetings from Hamburg.

In an ideal situation, the conductor would have done what he is supposed to do, taken the student's name and address and told him to pay the fare (plus a £10 fine, if that applies in the area as it does around here) when he alighted.

The last I checked, yes Or at least, if you try to buy a ticket on the train that you should have bought at the station, it will cost you £10 plus a full standard fare. If you're caught actually trying to fare dodge entirely, you can be prosecuted and the penalties would be higher.

Since when do fare dodgers get their names and addresses taken down and get told to pay the fare when alighting? Who is supposed to make sure they pay this fare? Do they get a receipt? Is there a link between the conductor and the ticket office informing them that the fare dodger is purchasing a "penalty fare" or whatever with a £10 surcharge? How would the conductor know he'd been given a real name and address?

As for your second point, why do you believe that in this case the fare dodger made any effort to purchase a ticket on the train?

Since when do fare dodgers get their names and addresses taken down and get told to pay the fare when alighting? Who is supposed to make sure they pay this fare? Do they get a receipt? Is there a link between the conductor and the ticket office informing them that the fare dodger is purchasing a "penalty fare" or whatever with a £10 surcharge? How would the conductor know he'd been given a real name and address?

If you've boarded public transport and do not have sufficient funds to pay, that's what they're supposed to do. How they follow up to make sure that people who have promised to pay, actually do so, I couldn't tell you. I don't work in that area and never did.

As for your second point, why do you believe that in this case the fare dodger made any effort to purchase a ticket on the train?

He wasn't given the chance to. That's rather the whole point.

Archived