Why is sports news taking over from real news?

Nagel

I don't get what you mean. The subject of news priority interests me a lot and that's what's being discussed.

My point is that sports news was always reserved for the last 5 minutes of any news programme and increasingly it is making its way into the main body of the news. Nothing that happens in sport is that important.

Sports used to be just that, there was very little side line action save for the odd misdemeanour from George Best, it's different now. Players have been elevated to super stardom on and off the field. As icons and roll models they are news and what happens in their lives is news in the same way that pop stars hit the headlines. The fact that you and others have no interest in it doesn't detract from the millions upon millions that follow the sport. It is news to them because that is where the interest lies.

News by definition reports current affairs and or topics of interest to people that's what it's for. The antics of footballers however distasteful you find it is news and is separate from the sport itself. If they score goals it's in the sport section, anything other does not fall under sport therefore it's reported as part of local, national or international news. Newspapers are the same.

Yes, I agree. Channel 4 news is pretty good too, but the BBC TV news is becoming progressively dumbed down. Who cares what some footballer said or didn't say? People should remember that football is only of interest to fans, who are a minority of the population.

I'd be happy to see all sports coverage confined to purely sports channels.

No it isn't a minority of our population, most British people love football more than their families, it's the most talked about, supported and participated sport not just in the UK but the world, even women like it.

No it isn't a minority of our population, most British people love football more than their families, it's the most talked about, supported and participated sport not just in the UK but the world, even women like it.

Rubbish, utter tosh. Football is a cash cow and people only talk about it because they feel they have to, to 'fit in'. Most people in this country hate the fact that it is given such prominence.

For every person you show me who is fanatical about football, I'll show you ten who really don't care one jot. But because of media bias they feel they have to show some sort of interest.

Rubbish, utter tosh. Football is a cash cow and people only talk about it because they feel they have to, to 'fit in'. Most people in this country hate the fact that it is given such prominence.

For every person you show me who is fanatical about football, I'll show you ten who really don't care one jot. But because of media bias they feel they have to show some sort of interest.

So true. Where is the Like button SF?

The only part of this I disagree with is it's precedence over family.

That's nonsense. If you have no love for the game or lack any understanding of it what contribution could you add to a conversation?

I'll show you twenty but fanaticism reaches only a small minority. Football 'fans' encompasses armchair support as well but these have interests outside the game. Media doesn't or can't influence a liking for it, you either do or you don't. I don't watch X Factor even though it's hyped, similarly I don't view Strictly or Big Brother and all of these are massive conversation pieces at work and leisure. My input is simply that i don't watch reality TV, or words to that effect.

That's nonsense. If you have no love for the game or lack any understanding of it what contribution could you add to a conversation?

I'm assuming you added this line inside my quote?

In response to your question about lack of understanding and what I can add to the conversation, I would add that I have been a sports journalist for over 20 years, covering almost every sport (including football) at levels ranging from international to local park games.

So yes, I feel qualified to tell the world that modern day football is a horrible, little turd of a sport.

I'm assuming you added this line inside my quote?

In response to your question about lack of understanding and what I can add to the conversation, I would add that I have been a sports journalist for over 20 years, covering almost every sport (including football) at levels ranging from international to local park games.

So yes, I feel qualified to tell the world that modern day football is a horrible, little turd of a sport.

But you are qualified to comment. Your suggestion was that people feel some obligation to take part in conversation purely because of football's popularity. What I'm saying is if you have no interest in the game it's unlikely that you'd have any worthwhile criticism of it. I don't disagree that football is purile entertainment governed by money to make money.

Oh, the game in itself is ok. But I hate the way it's dressed up these days. Cheating, skiving idiots masquerading as professional players, providing terrible role models for our youngsters. No loyalty to home-town clubs, it's all about money, money, money, and nothing else.

But even aside from all of that, it's not even a really good game. Give me a good game of rugby or handball any day!

Quite wrong, angling is the most participated in sport in the UK. It's a well known fact.

As for "football" 22 well overpaid nancy boys kicking a pigs bladder round for 90 minutes, that is when they are stood up, they seem to spend more time rolling around the floor writhing in faked agony than playing nancy ball. Its more interesting to sit nude in the coal house with impacted wisdom teeth and several ingrowing toe nails at a temperature of minus 10.

Angel.

Oh, the game in itself is ok. But I hate the way it's dressed up these days. Cheating, skiving idiots masquerading as professional players, providing terrible role models for our youngsters. No loyalty to home-town clubs, it's all about money, money, money, and nothing else.

But even aside from all of that, it's not even a really good game. Give me a good game of rugby or handball any day!

I'll take Rugby League over football any day, on that we're agreed.

Archived