Where can I get hold of a copy of 'The Brushes Story'

rapido

Hi. As the post suggests, I'm looking for a copy of The Brushes Story by TF Johnson. I haven't looked in any of the Libraries as I would rather just get hold of a copy to keep but I'm having trouble tracking one down. I think it may possibly be out of print now. Thanks in advance for any answers. Merry Christmas

Hi. As the post suggests, I'm looking for a copy of The Brushes Story by TF Johnson. I haven't looked in any of the Libraries as I would rather just get hold of a copy to keep but I'm having trouble tracking one down. I think it may possibly be out of print now. Thanks in advance for any answers. Merry Christmas

Does this only cover the history of the building or does it also include school reminiscences by Spike who taught there(Firth Park Grammar) ?

Not sure, I've not read it yet. As I'm sure you know, it was Spike who wrote the book but as he was a history teacher, I suspect that he kept it the historical 'facts'. I went to Firth Park when it was a comprehensive school and met Spike briefly when he came in to do a talk about Brushes. I've never got round to reading the book and would really like to.

Not sure, I've not read it yet. As I'm sure you know, it was Spike who wrote the book but as he was a history teacher, I suspect that he kept it the historical 'facts'. I went to Firth Park when it was a comprehensive school and met Spike briefly when he came in to do a talk about Brushes. I've never got round to reading the book and would really like to.

Hi, I went when it was a Grammar school and Spike taught us history.

He loved teaching us about Hannibal when he had the opportunity to act the part of an elephant !!!!!!!

The Brushes was a famous horse racing stud as was the Stubbing at Sheffield Lane Top,there is a book in the library detailing all the 5 horse racing tracks in Sheffield and it Mentions the Brushes in detail.The problem is that I have forgotten the title but I read it last year when I borrowed it from Rotherham libraries.

I actually went to the Brushes when it was Firth Park comprehensive. I got to know all it's little nooks and crannies and all the ghost stories linked to it! It's curious but even the most pragmatic, steadfast science teachers had to admit the things 'happened'. Spike came into the school to do a talk one day. He was a fascinating chap and really brought the place to life with the stories he told about it. I was a teenager though at the time and perhaps didn't concentrate for as long as I should so I would really like to catch up now:hihi:

Unfortunately there is no mention of the stud,in the area of Longley there were a fair amount of Quarries and quite a lot of cavalry officers horses are buried in these places as are a lot off famous race horses of that period.King Edward V11 came to this area with Lily Langtry.

Archived