Hornby 00 or Triang

Dreb48

Seeing as it's Christmas can any of the ' boys ' out there remember the fights you had at primary school over which was better? Those were the days when Hornby had 3 rails and Triang with their 2 rails but plastic engines and rolling stock were the new kids on the block. Of course later Hornby were the main men but back then it was serious aggro. If you weren't at primary school in the 50s then ignore this thread

I had a Triang electric train set with the engine named "Princess Elizabeth". It was fun to play with when I had the chance. My father and uncle were both railway men and they tended to monopolise it. It was my 'turn' to have a play only when they had tired of it!!

Thanks Kelvinlad that's exactly the same set I had then the Christmas after I got the 0-6-0 tank engine. The best thing was the Royal Mail set I got the year after. You have to have had one to experience the excitement

five years old in 1958 - Christmas Day and in my sack was a Hornby Dublo Train set.

"Duchess of Montrose" 3 - rails. Here I am fifty three years later and the train set is tucked away in my garage - very rarely used - I thought I would save it for my son....had two daughters.....so my grandson?.....so far two grandaughters!

Over the years I have picked up one or two bits of track and rolling stock at boot fairs etc. and I am in no way an enthusiast, all i remember is the enjoyment that set gave me all those years back

I was a Triang fan. In our last house, we had a layout in the loft, which then got moved to the basement, and was on a 10 ft x 6 ft frame winched to the ceiling! There wasn't often enough floor space to lower it down to play! It is all in our loft now we moved, just waiting for a spare moment or three to get it out again. Oh, it's mine, not the kids!

Can't remember whether Triang bought Hornby or the other way round. When Hornby went to 2 rails instead of 3 and used plastic instead of tin plate they became the major player. Maybe some current enthusiast knows the actual history.

Archived