Bomb hunting around Sheffield

Tonyt

In the early 1950s we would cycle up to Foxhouse and look for WW2 bombs.

We found a small incendary bomb first than an army practice smoke marker bomb.

The highlight was finding a German explosive bomb about 30ins long and about10ins in diameter. We went to the AA box and they phoned the police. The sergent who came picked it up in his arms and struggled to his Morris Minor and drove away with it in his boot.

The end result - police sergent and police woman visit to our home that evening, major rollicking and bann from Foxhouse by father.

I'm sure we were not the only ones, I understood two boys were killed rolling a landmine near Stannage Edge.

In the early 1950s we would cycle up to Foxhouse and look for WW2 bombs.

We found a small incendary bomb first than an army practice smoke marker bomb.

The highlight was finding a German explosive bomb about 30ins long and about10ins in diameter. We went to the AA box and they phoned the police. The sergent who came picked it up in his arms and struggled to his Morris Minor and drove away with it in his boot.

The end result - police sergent and police woman visit to our home that evening, major rollicking and bann from Foxhouse by father.

I'm sure we were not the only ones, I understood two boys were killed rolling a landmine near Stannage Edge.

interesting, does anyone know what happened to the large bomb fragment that was uncovered during the floods the other year?

would have liked to have seen that in a museum.

Archived