St George's Church - Body in wall - True Story or Not?

jackip

I was walking with a friend past St George's Church (next to old Jessops hospital) this week and she said there had been a story years ago about a woman being found in the walls of the church when it was bought by the University and made into a lecture theatre. I cannot find anything about this on Google and have only found a reference to a murder in the graveyard in 1960. Does anyone know whether there is a historical story here?

I was walking with a friend past St George's Church (next to old Jessops hospital) this week and she said there had been a story years ago about a woman being found in the walls of the church when it was bought by the University and made into a lecture theatre. I cannot find anything about this on Google and have only found a reference to a murder in the graveyard in 1960. Does anyone know whether there is a historical story here?

I worked on a small blue brick building on the corner of Portobello St and George St just inside the graveyard to St Georges Church on excavating the foundations we came across various coffin and body remains, these were close to the perimiter wall there was also various bits of jewellery found. The site was cordened of while the remains were removed .

I still have vivid memories of digging up bones and then realising that they were human remains.

Do you know where the bodies were reinterred to and did it cause problems like when they took up the graves outside the cathedral for the tram?

I am assuming the story about a body being found in the walls of the church must be a myth/untrue?

Do you know where the bodies were reinterred to and did it cause problems like when they took up the graves outside the cathedral for the tram?

I am assuming the story about a body being found in the walls of the church must be a myth/untrue?

The only problem it caused us was that we had to leave the job while they sorted out the remains which as far as any one new at the time were not supposed to be that close to the perimiter wall.

I do not know what happened to them but remember that there was still brick lined graves up to the edge of where we was working i will have to have a walk up there in the next week or so and see if the building that we worked on is still there it was a flat roofed building with blue or gray brickwork more or less on the corner.

Archived