Proof of income will soon be required for multi-million pound mortgages.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2075394/No-liar-loans-self-certified-mortgages-banned.html

Self-certified mortgages, which saw more than a million people receive home loans without proving their income, are to be withdrawn.

Lenders will impose tougher tests on borrowers to ensure they can make their repayments, the Financial Services Authority is to announce on Monday, reports the Daily Telegraph.

More than half of all new mortgages taken out between 2007 and the first quarter of 2010 were provided without a customer having to prove their income.

People will no longer be able to write down on a form 'income = loadsamoney' and get a massive loan in the form of a mortgage.

People will have to actually prove how much money they earn in order to get a mortgage.

I've read the article but must have missed the "multi million pound" bit..where is it?

Read it as you wish...

There are millions of these self cert mortgages denominated in pound.

By writing down 'income=1million", you could get a mortgage for a 3million pound property.

Read it as you wish...

There are millions of these self cert mortgages denominated in pound.

By writing down 'income=1million", you could get a mortgage for a 3million pound property.

So the answer is you made that bit up...just like the headlines in the papers... :)

So the answer is you made that bit up...just like the headlines in the papers... :)

The rules of SF do not allow posting of rehashed news. Posting news items without adding anything is a bit pointless to be fair though. The bits of my post that aren't quoted I writ myself with keyboard innit.

The bit I quoted in the 'quote' box is from the story.

Pretty soon somebody who is prepared to lie about income to obtain a multi-million pound mortgage will have to prove their income. So I feel I have reported accurately. Do you feel that, that is not the case?

The rules of SF do not allow posting of rehashed news. Posting news items without adding anything is a bit pointless to be fair though. The bits of my post that aren't quoted I writ myself with keyboard innit.

The bit I quoted in the 'quote' box is from the story.

Pretty soon somebody who is prepared to lie about income to obtain a multi-million pound mortgage will have to prove their income. So I feel I have reported accurately. Do you feel that, that is not the case?

It's the case for any size mortgage..even a small one...

It's the case for any size mortgage..even a small one...

No point in lying about your income to get a self certified mortgage that charges a higher rate of interest for a property you could afford using a cheaper (lower interest) traditional (proof of income) mortgage...

No point in lying about your income to get a self certified mortgage that charges a higher rate of interest for a property you could afford using a cheaper (lower interest) traditional (proof of income) mortgage...

There is if you can't raise one by telling the truth..and you want one..

Archived