Why do people still buy new products from physical shops?

New products? How about a pint of milk? Would you order one online when you have a cup of tea with no milk? Some things can't wait. Traipsing round the shops can be a day out although I wouldn't want to do it every day. You can actually look at things there and then and take them home with you. Would you want a city centre full of charity shops and empty buidings?

I can't be bothered coming home after a day at work to find a little "red card" from the postman, meaning I have to queue up at the Delivery Office (some way from my house), spending best part of an hour (inc journey time) to pick up something that was only worth a few quid.

I'd rather pay an extra quid or two to avoid that hassle.

Buying in physical stores is not always more expensive (pro tip: ask stores about their price matching policy and show them the online prices for the product), you can see / try on items, it's faster, it's easier to return items if you don't like them or they go wrong, and receiving deliveries can be a hassle.

I buy most things online, but that's partly because I just don't have time to go to shops.

There are several reasons for different people.

1. You have to wait longer.

2. You want to have a real look at it

3. You don't want to spend the day off work waiting for delivery

4. You might want to ask questions about it that aren't answered on the website

5. You might already be going to the store for groceries so you 'might as well' get it whilst you're out

And finally the biggest reason for me

6. If we went by your ideal and bought everything online thus having almost no interaction with strangers at all we'd be staring at a computer screen all day soullessly clicking for everything we needed to buy, then how boring would your life be.

I only buy online what I can't get in the real world for the above reasons.

Archived