How old were these Sheffield city centre pubs?

junction1

This section of the forum tempted me to register, I like history, it's difficult to argue with facts.

It appears that the ages of The Old Queens Head and Carbrook Hall are common knowledge, but more recent drinking houses have very little documentary evidence relative to when they were built.

Sheffield Library Photos have a photo of The Mulberry Tavern on Mulberry Street listed circa 1870, it looks older then than it did 100 years later, it must have dated back to the 1700's.

The Old Blue Bell on High Street appeared to be even older than The Mulberry Tavern, what with it's very low ceilings and outside facilities.

The Travelers Rest on The Moor was an old coaching inn, it still had the stable block and cobbled stable yard to the rear. Although Victorian in appearance from the front aspect, it appeared to be much older when viewed from the rear.

Have any of you any ideas as to the answers re the ages of these long gone establishments?

The Albion on London road is another old one, the present front door was originally the back door and the London road ran passed what is now the back door ...

There must have been a lot of changes from the 19th century Sheffield, the population in the first national census of 1801 was 46,000,by 1921 it was 520,000....

The Albion on London road is another old one, the present front door was originally the back door and the London road ran passed what is now the back door ...

There must have been a lot of changes from the 19th century Sheffield, the population in the first national census of 1801 was 46,000,by 1921 it was 520,000....

Sheffield is only just above that now. :huh:

Sheffield Library Photos have a photo of The Mulberry Tavern on Mulberry Street listed circa 1870, it looks older then than it did 100 years later, it must have dated back to the 1700's.
From information on the sheffieldhistory.co.uk site it certainly dated back to 1825 (when a certain John Williams was landlord of the "Mulberry Tree") and it was probably older than this. It doesn't seem to be mentioned in the Gales & Martin directory of 1787, but this mostly gives the larger coaching inns such as the Angel and Tontine.

From information on the sheffieldhistory.co.uk site it certainly dated back to 1825 (when a certain John Williams was landlord of the "Mulberry Tree") and it was probably older than this. It doesn't seem to be mentioned in the Gales & Martin directory of 1787, but this mostly gives the larger coaching inns such as the Angel and Tontine.

Thanks, I reckoned on about 1780, we are a cracking city at demolishing buildings that other towns and cities preserve aren't we?

This section of the forum tempted me to register, I like history, it's difficult to argue with facts.

It appears that the ages of The Old Queens Head and Carbrook Hall are common knowledge, but more recent drinking houses have very little documentary evidence relative to when they were built.

The Old Blue Bell on High Street appeared to be even older than The Mulberry Tavern, what with it's very low ceilings and outside facilities.

The Travelers Rest on The Moor was an old coaching inn, it still had the stable block and cobbled stable yard to the rear. Although Victorian in appearance from the front aspect, it appeared to be much older when viewed from the rear.

Have any of you any ideas as to the answers re the ages of these long gone establishments?

The Blue Bell was built in 1710

The Mulberry was built in 1825

I cant find a date as yet for the Travellers or as it was known Billy Lees I suspect it was the middle of the 1800s as prior to that it was as its name suggests just a track on the "Moor"

these old coaching inns should have been preserved.sheffield council have destroyed the history of sheffield and replaced it with crap

just take a look at york how the modern has been fitted in with the old.nobody could recognise sheffield from 20 years ago,dont they realise most sheffielders were proud of their history

these old coaching inns should have been preserved.sheffield council have destroyed the history of sheffield and replaced it with crap

just take a look at york how the modern has been fitted in with the old.nobody could recognise sheffield from 20 years ago,dont they realise most sheffielders were proud of their history

This was my argument in the pub last Sunday, Sheffield could have rivalled york BUT we took the Industrial path by having 5 Rivers for water power.

Its shameful how a progression of councils( mainly Labour ) have ruined Sheffield by allowing terrible,awful building to be built, you just have to look at the Old Town hall, the General Post Office beautiful buildings and they are left to lead thieves,vandals, pigeons and the weather and then sanction buildings like all the terrible flats that disgrace our City centre.

The amount of coaching inns and old pubs weve lost in the past fifty years is tragic and the bars that have sprung up in there place are not for the likes of me who enjoys a pint of Magnet and a chat to my mates.

That is what you get if you keep electing these muppets as the custodians

of your cities heritage. You can walk around Chesterfield town centre and see pubs that make The Old Queens Head and Carbrook Hall look like new builds, why do we have to have council after council made up from demolition dans?

Archived