Banks and Direct Debits

would the funds have been there in 4 days?

In theory no they should wait until after the due date, usually if the due date falls on a weekend or a bank holiday then they would attempt to pay it the first immediate banking day afterwards. Thats as far as I know. You'd really need to speak to someone who works in banking though

would the funds have been there in 4 days?

Yep. I was putting it in on the 28th before 2.30pm but theyve just taken what was in my account and put me in areas for the rest.

In theory no they should wait until after the due date, usually if the due date falls on a weekend or a bank holiday then they would attempt to pay it the first immediate banking day afterwards. Thats as far as I know. You'd really need to speak to someone who works in banking though

Spoke to 2 people at my bank and both have said they can do this and theres nothing they can do.

One wished me happy christmas though which was nice.

Isn't it a case of the direct debit being requested by the third party rather than the bank volunteering the payment?

Yes, they request it, the bank pays it but the date on my paperwork for the DD is 28th which is why i was a bit miffed and wondered if anyone else thought it was a bit tight of the banks to do this.

As it's Xmas....

This happened to me when I banked at the Co-op so I moved to another bank. They charged me £25 for being overdrawn by £1 for one day when a DD came through early. I was with them for 16 years and only ever went overdrawn 3 or 4 times, always because of early DDs. They wouldn't budge so I went elsewhere. Not long after, the bank I went to gave me £20 too much in a cash withdrawal and I thought I'd keep it as I was giving them my custom and I was still £5 down thanks to bankers.

I used to work in a bank before I saw the light.

However, if its a direct debit, the bank have no say over when it's presented for payment - that is down entirely to the company to who you pay it.

IF you can produce a signed agreement that states the payment will be taken on or after a specific date, and the company ask for it before that date, then you have every right to demand that they pay any charges you may have been charged as they're in breach of contract.

I'm sorry but in this case, your rant shouldn't be against the bank but against the company who you pay.

I used to work in a bank before I saw the light.

However, if its a direct debit, the bank have no say over when it's presented for payment - that is down entirely to the company to who you pay it.

IF you can produce a signed agreement that states the payment will be taken on or after a specific date, and the company ask for it before that date, then you have every right to demand that they pay any charges you may have been charged as they're in breach of contract.

I'm sorry but in this case, your rant shouldn't be against the bank but against the company who you pay.

Well i tried ranting at them but they are closed.

I gave their answer machine a good dressing down though :hihi:

Archived