Which Christmas song takes you back.

grinder

I saw her with a brass quartet performing this (and joined in) live last Christmas. It is on her Christmas CD, including lots of local carols.

Sweet Bells includes lots of the words of 'When Shepherds Watched Their Flocks' but to a completely different tune.

If you like the real local Xmas tunes,try listening to Humble Swain a local group of singers singing local carols if that does not remind you of a local Xmas I don't know what would!

John Fowler has CDs..2331467, all proceeds to local charities.

We always used to sing a carol called "Sweet Bells". I think this was sometimes called the Sheffield Carol, and I know Kate Rusby has recorded it on a CD.

Does anyone else remember this one?

I remember Dr Ian Russell, who took us for music at Hunters Bar, teaching us a version of While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks, that incorperated Sweet Bells as a chorus.

Sweet bells, sweet chiming Christmas bells,

They cheer us on our heavenly way,

Sweet chiming bells.

If you like the real local Xmas tunes,try listening to Humble Swain a local group of singers singing local carols if that does not remind you of a local Xmas I don't know what would!

John Fowler has CDs..2331467, all proceeds to local charities.

I'm not from Sheffield originally, so I've discovered all of this since moving up here from the Black Country, home of Slade, where all traditional Christmas songs seem to have been replaced by the dulcet tones of a certain Mr Holder and his chums.

This is one of the local traditions of which Sheffielders should be rightfully proud :)

Archived