Giving children Calpol to induce sleep. ??

WTH is that about. ?

Why would parents dose their kids up on Paracetamol, which i understand is the main ingredient, to try and induce sleep. ?

I'd never heard of this till tonight.

No wonder we're a nation of druggies.

Has the world finally gone mad. ? :rant:

I don't think calpol works, not without serious overdose at least... There is however, Medised which is a painkiller and makes them drowsy on normal dosages, but is now advised for over 8s only (previously was 2 and then 6) but doesn't stop people lying when the pharmacist asks the child's age... My friend's ex used to have his kids at the weekend and they slept the whole time.

My daughter is scared of Santa and wouldn't go to bed in case he came, (LOL) shes also got a cold, and I gave her some Boots paracetamol, 5ml, about 20 mins ago, and shes just this minute dropped off... Its not supposed to make them drowsy, but wonder if it does? Or maybe it just relieved her symptoms a little and made her more able to sleep, or maybe she would have slept any way lol I'm curious now, hmmm.

That may have originated in something sensible; if your child is teething, it is pain that's keeping her awake so Calpol will indeed help her to sleep.

Using it if anything other than pain is the cause of sleeplessness, is worse than useless.

I think Calpol being just a paracetamol suspension would be useless if the child wasn't in pain, paracetamol alone shouldn't make you drowsy, unless you overdose, of course. However, that Medised stuff, contains a sedative along with paracetamol, and is actually advertised as being 'To aid a good nights sleep', its supposed to make the child drowsy, to help them to settle when their ill... I know some people do tend to abuse it.

Saying that though, my friend's ex's children were probably better off asleep for their own safety. The oldest one used to scratch and nip herself and even bite her sister, or bang her own head on walls, and threaten to tell her Mum that her dad had been hitting her if he didn't paint/draw/go to the shop etc etc with her.

He could of course have dealt with her better than dosing her up on Medised.

My daughter is scared of Santa and wouldn't go to bed in case he came, (LOL) shes also got a cold, and I gave her some Boots paracetamol, 5ml, about 20 mins ago, and shes just this minute dropped off... Its not supposed to make them drowsy, but wonder if it does? Or maybe it just relieved her symptoms a little and made her more able to sleep, or maybe she would have slept any way lol I'm curious now, hmmm.

Maybe it's a placebo effect. And she fears Santa it's because you've told her and elderly man comes in her room and spies on her whilst she's sleeping. If she can't sleep because she fears Santa, why not just tell her the truth.

I totally agree with OP, pain killing drugs shouldn't be given to anybody, let alone kids, to help them relax and sleep.

It's not good for the liver.

I think Calpol being just a paracetamol suspension would be useless if the child wasn't in pain

It would indeed; and worse than useless, because it can cause liver damage if used long-term, and also the child is likely to become tolerant of it so that it won't be any use when she actually is in pain.

Archived