Pi in the sky. ?

nubile

Can someone explain something to me. I've seen countless videos and articles about the Raspberry Pi, and countless mentions of how it will allow kids to program. However, I can't find a single piece of information on how they're going to program using it. I'm assuming they're not going to be using machine code, so what languages is it created for? How are kids going to be creating games on it (aside from installing Scratch which you can already do on any PC without risk of breaking it). I'm just having trouble getting my head around how kids are going to be taught programming with this.

Can someone explain something to me. I've seen countless videos and articles about the Raspberry Pi, and countless mentions of how it will allow kids to program. However, I can't find a single piece of information on how they're going to program using it. I'm assuming they're not going to be using machine code, so what languages is it created for? How are kids going to be creating games on it (aside from installing Scratch which you can already do on any PC without risk of breaking it). I'm just having trouble getting my head around how kids are going to be taught programming with this.

I think it's more to do with the cost and extreme portability more than anything.

AFAIK it's going to be using Linux Fedora as the OS and I don't think that it's going to be used to teach them to write the next big blockbuster games but it's to get them started in the field.

I believe the intention is that this initial batch of machines is to get the enthusiasts working on them, and to then concentrate on the machines to be sold into the education market. As part of the educational version there will be a development environment built and supplied with the machines. The idea is that the enthusiasts who get the initial versions will be able to help develop and test these tools before trying to convince teachers.

Surely the plethora of existing development environments are good enough, schools don't need their own special one.

Given the comment about the many 'free' programming languages available, it made me wonder if there are any that aren't actually free, I can't think of any, what would be the point.

Microsoft, Apple & other companies like that make programming languages that aren't free & open source, but I can't see the point of them either.

Fedora is produced for software developers, it is open source & it provides a very capable development environment, called Eclipse, along with every other possible programming tool you could need (except non-open source stuff).

Archived