Today, we celebrate..

I didn't say that. Religion has influenced the whole of humanity and not always in a positive way. How many conflicts have been due to religious differences? Many of these ongoing.

That's true but that doesn't make the mythical being any more real:D

I didn't say that. Religion has influenced the whole of humanity and not always in a positive way.

The same thing can be said about science - I would hazard a guess that in the last 100 years, more people have died as the result of scientific inventions than as a result of religion ever.

I'm definately an atheist, but I'm quite happy to say that religion on the whole has been, and still is a benefit to humanity. It has helped us develop as a civilisation as much as science. There are many positive rules and advice given as part of religion, which everybody, even the strictly non-religious, follow today. Further more, religion is the cause of the biggest advances in art and culture which we can still appreciate today.

These days it's very easy to see religion as all bad, but if you ignore the idiots and madmen who're constantly arguing about who's mythical sky pixie is the best (see also those who argue about who's division 1 football team is better ;-)), and look at how individual normal people have had their lives bettered by stable life long relationships, charity and community, it's clear that there are many positives.

So happy christmas everyone, and have a very merry newtoness too!

Archived