Patisserie Valerie

bullerboY

The original Patisserie Valerie is something of an institution in Old Compton Street in Soho and it was established by French refugees from religious persecution, the Hugenots.

It's now a franchise with lots of branches around the country. I went past today and it looked pretty authentic and tempting.

Never went to the original but in the 60s a friend who did always brought me a couple of their croissants which were scrumptious. Didn't realise they'd become a chain.

The patisserie might be called by french names but some of it is not french quality. It is more like upmarket English impressions of french patisserie and as a previous poster says at Paris prices.

To be honest their croissants d'amande are overall not up to the Morrisons version standards.

If Patisserie Valerie is a franchise that would explain a lot........

Went in today. Had eggs benedict and decaf coffee (over caffeinated by then). Eggs not brilliant. Soggy toast, 1 piece with grill lines, tother plain. Waiting staff had definitely got their act together since the first reports. Will try it again but earlier so I can have real coffee and a cake in lieu of breakfast.

It is overpriced but it's a lovely place where you can sit and have a nice cake or light meal. Sheffield has been long overdue a place like this. The problem is the waiting staff who are a bit clueless - confusion in taking a simple order, then tried to take my plate before I'd finished but after that we waited so long for them to come and ask us if we wanted anything else we didn't have time for a cake.

They'd only been open a week when we used them - I hope any teething troubles will be ironed out eventually.

I had the same experience - didn't find it very comfortable or clean in there and we waited so long just to order a coffee we ended up leaving.

I'm hoping it's teething troubles too :)

• 2 months later...

Been in today. Very overpriced. Lovely surroundings but I won't be going again.

A smoked salmon and cream cheese bagel £3+ to take away £8+ to eat in. A fiver difference for the pleasure of the surroundings??

I had a large but indifferent almond croissant and my hubby had a piece of chocolate cake. Neither worth the price but the coffee was lovely.

Archived