Patisserie Valerie

bullerboY

Been in today. Very overpriced. Lovely surroundings but I won't be going again.

A smoked salmon and cream cheese bagel £3+ to take away £8+ to eat in. A fiver difference for the pleasure of the surroundings??

I had a large but indifferent almond croissant and my hubby had a piece of chocolate cake. Neither worth the price but the coffee was lovely.

Gosh - just looked at their menus and yes £3.35 to £8.50 is some mark up for what reads to be the same thing!!

Only been for coffee and cake which were lovely (shared a piece as the slices were huge).

Gosh - just looked at their menus and yes £3.35 to £8.50 is some mark up for what reads to be the same thing!!

Only been for coffee and cake which were lovely (shared a piece as the slices were huge).

there are far better places in the city centre, pricewise and qualitywise, i think the impression PV give is that everything is made on site........Its Not! frozen and superchilled.

there are far better places in the city centre, pricewise and qualitywise, i think the impression PV give is that everything is made on site........Its Not! frozen and superchilled.

I had presumed it was pre baked (for want of a better expression) - too uniform to be home-made. Still enjoyed it - and the coffee we good. Where else do you like?

I visited one lunchtime and chose from the brunch menu. I didn't like the Eggs Benedict as it was served on brioche which was too sweet for my taste. The hollandaise was served cold, straight from the fridge, which made the eggs cold too.

There are certainly some improvements to be made on service and food preparation, but I do like the concept and think there's definitely a place for it in Sheffield city centre.

I had presumed it was pre baked (for want of a better expression) - too uniform to be home-made. Still enjoyed it - and the coffee we good. Where else do you like?

as i said a quite a few places are better value, also value is not what you pay its what you get, two or three places spring to mind for quality and value, "Gusto italiano" that was! church st now moved to Norfolk row for authentic italian cafe food and patisserie, "Caffetteria" on Leopold st for fantastic coffee and fresh food made to order, daily specials &home made cakes and biscuits, blue moon for veggie options and nice coffee.

none of these as expensive as PV but much better value.

I don't care about the price with cake that good, it was so light it was like it was injected with helium. The teapot was cute too, real tea leaves!

It took ages to be seated, there was a queue outside, so that must indicate their popularity.

There was also way too much staff on, I don't know how they make any money, they weren't even doing anything, I'm a waitress and if I'm not rushed off my feet, my managers don't think the job is being done right.

There is sadly a dearth of independant "tea shops" shops in Sheffield, where you can get a home made savoury snack and a home made indulgent sweetmeat for dessert. Having visited other cities for shopping trips with friends like York, Harrogate and Chester, there are loads of places to get a nice hot drink, a sandwich or a piece of quiche with salad and the like and a cream tea scone or cake. Sheffield city centre would certainly ben efit but I assume rents and rates sadly price independants out of the market.

There is sadly a dearth of independant "tea shops" shops in Sheffield, where you can get a home made savoury snack and a home made indulgent sweetmeat for dessert. Having visited other cities for shopping trips with friends like York, Harrogate and Chester, there are loads of places to get a nice hot drink, a sandwich or a piece of quiche with salad and the like and a cream tea scone or cake. Sheffield city centre would certainly ben efit but I assume rents and rates sadly price independants out of the market.

I agree.The only one that springs to mind is the one "hidden" down chapel walk.

Other than that (while still a chain) the PV is the closest we get to something with niceish décor , waitress service etc .

I'm the queen of cake and was drooling when I first saw the cafe, I've since tried the cheesecake and a chocolate tart, sadly both of which I thought were forgettable.

yes like i said previously mass produced overpriced frozen and full of chemicals to keep them fresh longer:gag: but hey each to their own if you like the place, if you ask me though its a bit like the emperors new clothes syndrome.

Archived