Cheapest Way To Travel Around Central London?

You evidently haven't used them then as this is not the way that it works. You put the paper card (Single ticket or travel card) in the front slot of the barrier that you want to go through, the metal strip on the back of the paper is read by the barrier and is shot out the TOP of the barrier PRIOR to the gates opening - you have to pull the ticket from the top of the barrier IN FRONT of the gates in order that (a)The barrier opens and (b)To ensure that you have your ticket for travel (needs to be presented upon request of inspecters) and to ensure that you can get out of the barriers at the other end of your journey.

I really do apologise if my location of the ticket slot is off and when the gate opens up. I have used the Underground thank you and from what i have seen you cannot advertise the Oyster card as a speedy alternative to a travelcard. The time it takes for all that data and info to process is a whole 1 second, 2 at a push. If you really really cant spare the odd second, then use the left hand side of the escalators and run up the stairs rather than stand and wait on the left.

:rolleyes:

For information: anyone with a senior citizens' bus pass may use it on London buses, but not on the Tube.

Mrs Macbeth, my folks are going to London shortly and I'm not sure they know about this - does it matter what area your bus pass is for ? They live in Whitby

I really do apologise if my location of the ticket slot is off and when the gate opens up. I have used the Underground thank you and from what i have seen you cannot advertise the Oyster card as a speedy alternative to a travelcard.

Why can't you upsell Oyster on the fact that it's a speedier alternative to paper ticketing? It's partly for what it was intended, and TFL do. An old link on TFL website when they'd just sold their 10 millionth Oyster advises that 40 people per minute can pass through a barrier using Oyster in comparison to just 15 on paper tickets. I know from personal experience when I first switched to Oyster, the whole barrier experience was speeded up. This also becomes infinately better on buses where you don't have to mess around with money and change. The article in question is at:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/static/corporate/media/newscentre/archive/3345.html

The speed and convenience is also mentioned to upsell the Oyster on the official "visit London" website at http://www.visitlondon.com/travel/oyster/

And I was pointing out your error in this case because your whole statement was flawed, and the very location and way the barriers open up under paper ticketing is the exact reason why it is slower than Oyster. I didn't state that you'd never used the underground, I just figured that you probably use Oyster same as the majority do hence forget/neglect the actual logistics of the older paper ticket system

The time it takes for all that data and info to process is a whole 1 second, 2 at a push. If you really really cant spare the odd second, then use the left hand side of the escalators and run up the stairs rather than stand and wait on the left.

Stand and wait on the right actually, but yes I already do walk down or up the left side whenever I can which is usually when I'm not travelling with someone else. Data transfer on the barriers is faster using RFID than the magnetic stripe on the paper ticket, and brings other benefits to customers i.e tracking the journeys you make so you can actually budget your journeys from the historical data, and being able to ensure that you have the available funds for travel before entering the system. Also being able to top-up your Oyster away from the underground (such as Online) and hence not having to deal in cash, again all of which is faster. And isn't the whole purpose of the tube to mass transit people as quickly and efficiently as possible? I personally don't want to spend more time than absoloutely needed in a hot and confined environment. Oyster helps me get in and out of that system faster.

Here is some information about Oyster:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/tickets/getting-around-with-oyster.pdf

You do pay a deposit of £5 for the card but if you don't think you'll be visiting London again, you can hand the card back when you leave and the £5 along with any unused credit is refunded.

The important thing is to remember to touch in and out on the tube - even if the ticket gates are open. If you forget to touch in or out, you get charged for an incomplete journey which is quite expensive.

You can buy your cards online if you wish: http://visitorshop.tfl.gov.uk/

I've walked round bits of central London and you see sights that the everyday tourist misses although I'm not going to say whether that is good or bad. I made the mistake of investing in a small A to Z which meant I didn't get lost completely although on later occasions took a larger print map book which was easier to follow.

I've seen tourists not understand this system (even when it's so simple) holding the lines up, and people just being generally slow.

Even with Oyster, they tend to manage to stand too far forward, intersecting the beam in front of the barriers which results in the 'seek assistance' beeping, before making several more attempts without moving before they give up and let the crowd behind them through!

Many stations now have some barriers that can't take paper tickets which results in a longer queue when you find the one or two that still do.

London is a much more walkable city than a lot of people think, as long as you've got a basic sense of where the main landmarks/areas are in relation to each other. I used to have to go to Holborn most weeks and very rarely got a tube from St Pancras - much more pleasant to walk. I also love the walk along the south bank, and how you can cut through the parks to get all over the place. Given where the OP is staying, I'd suggest buying a mini A-Z and doing as much walking as you can, and putting a bit of credit onto an Oyster for if the weather is rough.

London is a much more walkable city than a lot of people think, as long as you've got a basic sense of where the main landmarks/areas are in relation to each other. I used to have to go to Holborn most weeks and very rarely got a tube from St Pancras - much more pleasant to walk. I also love the walk along the south bank, and how you can cut through the parks to get all over the place. Given where the OP is staying, I'd suggest buying a mini A-Z and doing as much walking as you can, and putting a bit of credit onto an Oyster for if the weather is rough.

Totally agree, we went down a few months ago and the tube was playing up so you can imagine the bus stops.

We walked for a good ten mile and saw alsorts.

Archived