Spelling mistakes and the validity of an argument.

What also happens is that people use incorrect words to try and explain what they mean and this can often cause confusion.

I have never been confused over a spelling mistake because I can work out what it should say based on the rest of the sentence, I have no idea whether the posters first language is English, whether they are dyslexic or whether they just didn’t do very well at school, so I would consider it to be rude to point out their mistakes. I would ask for calefaction if I couldn’t understand what they had typed.

No I am not based in the U.S.

I am also not very good at spelling. I do not always know if I am using the American or U.K. spelling. I prefer to use U.S. spellings because they are verified by the most spell checkers. Many applications (like FF) have the U.S. spellings set as the default. It is therefore easier for me to just keep the default settings.

Please note that I am not criticizing people for spelling incorrectly. I am criticizing people who believe that pointing out a spelling mistake invalidates your argument.

Yet you chose to criticise me for my spelling error despite the fact that a spell checker wouldn’t have picked it up anyway.

I have never been confused over a spelling mistake because I can work out what it should say based on the rest of the sentence, I have no idea whether the posters first language is English, whether they are dyslexic or whether they just didn’t do very well at school, so I would consider it to be rude to point out their mistakes. I would ask for calefaction if I couldn’t understand what they had typed.

What's a calefaction?

Also I've noticed people who are poor at spelling often cry dyslexia. My brother is dyslexic and his spelling is impeccable. You know why? Because knowing he has a disability, he makes an extra effort to get things right.

He doesn't make excuses for himself.

I have heard it said more than once on this forum that pointing out someones spelling mistakes shows that your arguments lack validity.

I hold the belief that an argument is valid because of the accuracy of the premises, the logical conclusion drawn from such premises and/or the validity of the data that those premises are derived from.

Spelling mistakes posted on here in my opinion, show that a person is not even competent enough to use the spell checker that is built in to Sheffield forum. I feel this lack of competence calls in to question their ability to analyze and disseminate information accurately.

Though pointing out spelling mistakes may seem a little pretentious, often words are miss-spelled in such a way as to become entirely different words with different meanings. Unfortunately some people on here think that to ask for clarification (or point out such incompetence) is to immediately invalidate your position in whatever argument you happen to be having. Presumably, even if it is an argument about the other person being poor at spelling.

Do the people of Sheffield really believe this? Or are we smarter than that?

(Bonus points for anyone who points out my spelling mistakes in this thread)

Go away and bore other people with your comments. We have a surplus of pseudo academics on SF............. spelling is not the be all and end all. Also it is just a forum and not a debating society..........:roll:

Yet you chose to criticise me for my spelling error despite the fact that a spell checker wouldn’t have picked it up anyway.

Re read your own post. Read the part you quoted from me. Ive included it below for your own convenience

Please note that I am not criticizing people for spelling incorrectly. I am criticizing people who believe that pointing out a spelling mistake invalidates your argument.

What's a calefaction?

Also I've noticed people who are poor at spelling often cry dyslexia. My brother is dyslexic and his spelling is impeccable. You know why? Because knowing he has a disability, he makes an extra effort to get things right.

He doesn't make excuses for himself.

I'm sure most members will be able to figure out what it should have said with out too much effort.

Go away and bore other people with your comments. We have a surplus of pseudo academics on SF............. spelling is not the be all and end all. Also it is just a forum and not a debating society..........:roll:

You didn't have to read my thread. You certainly didn't have to post in it. You are free to go off and read something else if you don't like the subject.

Also, I'll say it AGAIN, I am not criticizing spelling, but the fallacy that pointing out spelling mistakes invalidates ones argument.

Archived