Spelling mistakes and the validity of an argument.

The end of page 2 and most people seem to have entirely missed the OPs point.

That said, it doesn't help your argument to point out someone else's spelling mistakes, so why bother unless they're particularly bad or annoying?

I agree. I don't bother unless they are particularly bad or annoying.

You are correct, it is Firefox that is correcting my spelling not SF. However if your browser lacks a spell checker you can always copy/paste your text in to an application with a spell checker. It only takes a moment and it stops you looking like an incompetent buffoon that doesn't know how to use the English language.

You haven't used a single word that warrants the use of a spell checker but top marks for saying you prefer American spellings of the English language.

You haven't used a single word that warrants the use of a spell checker but top marks for saying you prefer American spellings of the English language.
In America, we're not too fond of the letter u, hence we have a sense of humor, and never vote labor. We don't like the French telling us how to spell, hence Theatre becomes Theater, or Centre becomes center, and programme, program. we categorize, not categorise. Best of all we save space when we deal with the date. To you Christmas is on the 25th of December, to us on December 25, we saved two words just like that. In the day, spelling well could win you the job better than your illiterate competitor. Even the spell check doesn't protect you from homophones. Writing 'there' in place of 'their' marks you.

I agree, but the common response you see on here is similar to this response MrSmith gave me a moment ago...

"When you resort to pointing out spelling mistakes it’s a certainty you have lost the argument"

If a post does nothing more than to point out spelling mistakes in someone else's post, it is a safe bet that the person posting it, could not find any other holes to pick in the argument except those spelling mistakes. Ergo, it is a safe bet that they've lost the argument. Otherwise they'd be responding to the argument itelf, instead of to spelling mistakes made within it.

Apart from this thread when I mocked your inability to spell "clarification," where else have I criticized your spelling? In the previous thread I mocked your inability to distinguish between "revolution" and "resolution." Two completely different words and a grammatical error NOT a spelling mistake (as I pointed out at the time, you had spelled the word correctly). Not only did you make that mistake once, you also made it again after I had already pointed it out.

A lack of effort in your writing implies a similar lack of effort in your "research."

Rather than accept this observation you instead suggested that my arguments were invalid because I pointed it out.

Some times when I write and can miss a word out or write the wrong word, and no matter how many time I read the sentence I still read the missing word or incorrect word the way I meant to write it, and I don’t notice that it is missing or incorrect. Most people do have the ability to interpret what I write the way I meant to write it. If you look back through my posts you will notice I very often edit my posts, that’s because when I read what I typed a couple of hours later I seem to have gained the ability to notice my error. I think it is common in some people with dyslexia.

If you look back through your posts you will notice you used the word fascist many times and out of context, unless you have a different definition for the word than is written in the dictionary.

I have heard it said more than once on this forum that pointing out someones spelling mistakes shows that your arguments lack validity.

I hold the belief that an argument is valid because of the accuracy of the premises, the logical conclusion drawn from such premises and/or the validity of the data that those premises are derived from.

Very interesting and you have come to that conclusion based on just over 100 posts ……. Genius ….. Pure genius.

I have never been able to spell and now at the age of 75 I know I am not going to alter but despite this defect I have not had my intelligence under rated on this forum and forumers have been polite enough to let the few wrong words go by without comment

hazel

Archived