Becoming vegetarian..

I tried to be a veggie once - lasted about 2 days tops, I just felt like something was missing, like something empty, not right, I didn't feel complete, bit daft really after just 2 days

course someats missing but the longer you go without the more natural it becomes so it no longer feels like anythings missing

its drummed into you from birth as a tradition you MUST eat meat, so it takes a lot of breaking

I tried to be a veggie once - lasted about 2 days tops, I just felt like something was missing, like something empty, not right, I didn't feel complete, bit daft really after just 2 days

The way I did it all those years back was to phase meat out.

Stopped eating pork and beef for a week or maybe two, stopped eating chicken for a while, then stopped eating fish.

course someats missing but the longer you go without the more natural it becomes so it no longer feels like anythings missing

its drummed into you from birth as a tradition you MUST eat meat, so it takes a lot of breaking

It actually took a little longer, its millions of years and without cooked meat we wouldn’t have become the species we are, and it’s only in the last few years that people are able to replace the things that are lost when they stop eating meat.

It actually took a little longer, its millions of years and without cooked meat we wouldn’t have become the species we are, and it’s only in the last few years that people are able to replace the things that are lost when they stop eating meat.
I'm waiting for them to move onto concerns over cruelty to vegetables.

If they could afford meat they would not hesitate one second to buy it.

I don't like the attitude "I can afford to buy meat but I won't because being vegetarian is fashionable".

That's what I meant by luxury.

I see your problem - you think people who choose to be vegetarian do so only because they think it's fashionable.

You're wrong.

If they could afford meat they would not hesitate one second to buy it.

I don't like the attitude "I can afford to buy meat but I won't because being vegetarian is fashionable".

That's what I meant by luxury.

I think you'll find the majority of vegetarians have other reasons than because it's fashionable. Anyway, I'd actually argue that it's not fashionable at the moment to be vegetarian with the organic meat movement. Perhaps it was in the 80s. How many people do you actually know who have this attitude ... changing your lifestyle is not quite as comparable to buying the latest designer gear just because their favourite celebrity is wearing it surely ?

One of our meat eating friends used to get annoyed if anyone told him they were vegetarians as he always felt that it was a slight on him. Bizarre ! He is now married to someone who has decided to go vegan and so he has made some amazing changes in his lifestyle and diet.

Personally I think it's all about being true to yourself, your values and your beliefs. I'm also respectful that others make different choices in all aspects of their lives. It's what makes us human and individual.

Archived