Do animal hunts still take place over the xmas period?

There was a time when a joust with the beasts in the countryside was viewed as English as apple pie and custard.

Do these events still take place - where the beast (sometimes a fox) pits its wits and mastery of the surroundings, and put all it has into a contest against dozens of humans on horseback and 100s of dogs?

Does the beast still miss this winter tradition ?

There was a time when a joust with the beasts in the countryside was viewed as English as apple pie and custard.

Do these events still take place - where the beast (sometimes a fox) pits its wits and mastery of the surroundings, and put all it has into a contest against dozens of humans on horseback and 100s of dogs?

driving along stocksbridge by-pass earlier i saw a lad with ratting gear on and 3 terriers, nowt to do with horse hunting i know but felt quite envious as the dogs looked like they'd had a busy day :)

I hunt all year round. Caught 4 rats during the past week. (My attic should be a bit quieter now.)

Now I've got to find a solution to the squirrel problem. - Particularly the (not so) little bugger who decided that my back porch is more of a 'des res' than one of the trees in the garden - and who made his own entranceway through the bug screen.:hihi:

That must be quite an exceptional hunt to have '100s' of dogs.

Archived