Whats the best adventure you have had?

Did loads of cool stuff in my twenties, hit thirty and had to settle down.

Excluding kids, wife etc. what is the best adventure you have been on?

great post ...all my adventures happened pre 15 years of age and too many gud uns to mention - a bad un was waggin it from school and goin stream jumping on hartley brook coming up short and twisting my ankle...try explaining that to me mam and dad and school ha ha those were the days

Going to Leningrad for Xmas and New Year on my own when I was 17 and traveling to Antarctica, The Falklands and South Georgia 7 years ago.
Amazing wildlife - dolphins, sealions, elephant seals, leopard seals, goodness knows how many species of penguin (my favorites were the rockhoppers), even interesting birds of prey - cara caras are very cheeky and not afraid of humans. Bloody windy all the time though.

Amazing wildlife - dolphins, sealions, elephant seals, leopard seals, goodness knows how many species of penguin (my favorites were the rockhoppers), even interesting birds of prey - cara caras are very cheeky and not afraid of humans. Bloody windy all the time though.

I used to get up before sunrise to go up on deck or on the bridge because I didn't want to miss anything. Took it's toll half way through the voyage when I could hardly keep my eyes open at some points.

The first time a whale was spotted, in the far distance, everyone rushed up on deck. By the time we were heading back 3 weeks later an announcement of two humpback swimming alongside hardly raised a murmur.

One of the best bits most memorable bits was having to shelter in the lee of an enormous iceberg to allow a storm to pass.

A once in a lifetime thing, never to be forgot. Still makes me excited just thinking about it.

Two weeks on the Sail Training Association's Sir Winston Churchill, a three masted schooner. I was the youngest on the ship, being sixteen years old at the time. I was pretty scared at times and sometimes homesick too, but I'd be off like a shot if I had the chance to do it all again.

Highlights - we were becalmed on the way home and put a small safety boat out so we could swim; it was flat calm and very misty, but the sun was burning through. Jumping of the side was quite an experience and despite it being July the coldest water I'd ever encountered up till then.

Being called up on deck in the middle of the night so see the phosphorescence in the sea - surreally beautiful. If you pee'd over the side, the splash was as green as a luminous watch dial.

Low points - a force seven gale which had us heeled over at about thirty degrees, and the terror of being out along the main spar tieing the sail down in a stiff breeze. Yeah, Ok, we had harnesses and were clipped on, but it was still an exercise in mind over matter...

a few years ago, we decided to hire a taxi and driver to take us to the bridge on the river kwai, stopped in bangkok for the night , next morning arrived at the bridge, saw the fields of un-named soldiers and visited the museums, taxi driver took us to a train station, bought all of us a 20p rail ticket and said meet you at the end, for 20p we couldnt go far............3 hours later after passing some very illegal fields of plants guarded by gun waving men and women ,through a jungle at dusk we arrived on the burma border, were the taxi driver was waiting for us, what an adventure that 20p gave us.

wont ever forget that holiday !!!

Archived