Fitting brake pads to a ibiza

what a nightmare , my back brakes were stuck on so i stripped the rear drum off one side and took the shoes out , i found that the wheel cylinder had been stuck on one side i freed that up and put the cylinder ends back in but now ive come to fit the shoes there an nightmare do to not being able to get the springs back on , how is this done?:mad:

what a nightmare , my back brakes were stuck on so i stripped the rear drum off one side and took the shoes out , i found that the wheel cylinder had been stuck on one side i freed that up and put the cylinder ends back in but now ive come to fit the shoes there an nightmare do to not being able to get the springs back on , how is this done?:mad:
hi take the other drum off and copy how the springs go

Hi Jamesy, on most Ibiza's the easiest way to fit the rear shoe assembly is to remove the hub. It's a single nut (32mm I think, but may be bigger) then the hub should just slide off, be careful not to get any grit or dirt inside the hub.

Now you can assemble the spings and shoes and just fit them straight on the back-plate. When they are secure, you need to tighten the hub nut to 70Nm then a further 30 degrees with a bar. Be careful not to overtighten by jumping on the bar as some DIY mechanics tend to when a torque wrench isn't available! It's always recommended to use a new hub nut also when possible.

Leave the shoes unadjusted when putting the drums on, adjust with a pointed tool or punch afterwards, through one of the bolt holes. Don't forget to tap the hub centre cap back on.

This web article may give you a few tips....

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-rear-brake-shoes-and-drums

I must admit when you said 'springs' i was unsure if you meant the brake shoe hold down springs & assembly that hold each shoe to the backplate, or if you meant the brake shoe return spring & handbrake lever arm that usually fit across & between both of the shoes?

Hope the article helps!

Archived