Why have we evolved to have a dominant arm?

Nagel

One of the first signs to look out for in a child is if they keep swapping hands when painting and playing, they could be dyslexic.

I have never heard that one before is it really true? Off to do a bit of googling.

Edit

There seems to be a endless list to look out for but yes its one of them.

Writing and Motor Skills

• Trouble with writing or copying; pencil grip is unusual; handwriting varies or is illegible.

• Clumsy, uncoordinated, poor at ball or team sports; difficulties with fine and/or gross motor skills and tasks; prone to motion-sickness.

Can be ambidextrous, and often confuses left/right, over/under.

Read more: http://www.dyslexia.com/library/symptoms.htm#ixzz1hujhioLa

Ditto..one of the most interesting questions to date.

An interesting prognosis/theory Mr Smith.

The whole question could be argued in reverse. When a child is born is it's limbs not equal? Therefore it's safe to assume using the same logic that rather than one organ becoming more dominant one organ is actually dumbing down.

It’s nothing to do with the limb, it’s the brain, if someone threw a ball to you or you go to kick a ball the brain decides which limb to use and in many people the brain as a preference, because it as a preference this limb will be used more than the other and will gain more practice and become stronger. When the brain doesn’t have a preference then both limbs will be used equally and both will become stronger but not as strong or well controlled as the person that just uses one limb for the given task.

Yahoo Answers ads a codicil to that: "...subsequent research had found that while 95% of right handed people did indeed process language in the left hemisphere, so did 70% of left handed people - and half of the rest used both hemispheres."

I'm left-handed for most things, but there are a few things I can't do left-handed. I hold a knife and fork like a right-handed person would do (and I find it difficult to do that the left-handed way) but I hold a spoon with my left hand.

When I learnt to play a guitar (albeit not very well) I couldn't do that left-handed.

I'm also 'left eyed'. When I fire a weapon (pistol, rifle or even a bow and arrow) I use my left eye to sight. - I can't use my right eye. (If I try to shoot right-handed, the shots/arrows will probably go out of the range high left.)

Some aircraft are flown using the left hand, some the right - that never presented a problem. Similarly, I (like everybody else) work the tiller on a boat with whichever hand is nearest.

When I first went to school, the Infants' class teacher tried to persuade me to write with my right hand. - She gave up (fortunately.) I heard somebody say (Old wive's tale?) "If you try to make a left-handed child write with his right hand, he will start to stutter." I've no idea whether there is any evidence to support that argument, but I wonder whether it might have something to do with the 'language' side of the brain?

I too am left-handed,but use the keypad on my mobile with my right! :confused:

And like yourself,use cutlery the same as you....Rather bizaare. Hmm.

I have never heard that one before is it really true? Off to do a bit of googling.

Edit

There seems to be a endless list to look out for but yes its one of them.

Schools are much better at finding the problems now than when I went to school, I was 13 before Dyslexia was considered and then they didn’t know enough about it, up to that point I was just thick and had the concentration span of a gold fish. Once they stopped trying to make me like everyone else I progressed much quicker. I even used to get told off for constantly swapping hands when eating and writing.

Sword use would be one skill where you would get a very important evolutionary advantage from being ambidextrous as they were absolutely a matter of life or death.

Conversely, if you were left side dominant would that give you a learned / trained advantage over fighters used to fighting righties?

I too am left-handed,but use the keypad on my mobile with my right! :confused:

And like yourself,use cutlery the same as you....Rather bizaare. Hmm.

I think left and right knife and fork use is not so much related to left/right handed. I think that is learned rather than natural (based on what I've observed in general, rather than something I can back up with links).

Where I think the left/right dominant becomes more apparent is with less noticeable cutlery use, - spoon for example. You're LH, which would you use for spoon and soup etc?

I think left and right knife and fork use is not so much related to left/right handed. I think that is learned rather than natural (based on what I've observed in general, rather than something I can back up with links).

Where I think the left/right dominant becomes more apparent is with less noticeable cutlery use, - spoon for example. You're LH, which would you use for spoon and soup etc?

Another strange thing is although i am left-handed and obviously carry out most everyday tasks with my left hand/arm,i know my right side is stronger!:huh:

I go to the gym and lift weights 4 times a week,but when i arm-wrestle,or tighten nuts,use a screw driver etc: My right side is more powerful.:confused:

Another strange thing is although i am left-handed and obviously carry out most everyday tasks with my left hand/arm,i know my right side is stronger!:huh:

I go to the gym and lift weights 4 times a week,but when i arm-wrestle,or tighten nuts,use a screw driver etc: My right side is more powerful.:confused:

I'm same (not gym 4 times a week:hihi:), but I've pretty much worked out that everything which requires precision (writing; using a spoon; computer mouse etc) I'm LH. However, anything which requires some power I use right. tennis; kick footy; tightened nuts etc (there's enough material in there for plenty of innuendo :hihi:).

Strangely my brother who I would describe as entirely LH, uses his computer mouse with his right hand. If I try this, my left/right/up/down are all messed up.

Sword use would be one skill where you would get a very important evolutionary advantage from being ambidextrous as they were absolutely a matter of life or death.

We've used tools for such a short length of time that they've probably had a negligible impact on us in evolutionary terms.

To help answer the question we should probably look at other animals, particularly related ones like chimps and other types of monkeys.

Archived