Why have we evolved to have a dominant arm?

Nagel

Sword use would be one skill where you would get a very important evolutionary advantage from being ambidextrous as they were absolutely a matter of life or death.

No, there had been no significant evolutionary change to the species for a long long lime before swords came along.

I expect you would find that monkeys are also right or left handed: if so, the root of the question goes much further back... I wonder how far. :?

Well that would be a nonsensical theory then as I think it's pretty well documented that the left side of the brain controls the right hand side of the body and visa versa.

Next.

No, that would fit in exactly with what he suggested. The left hemisphere is most often where we process language (70% of people I think), fine motor control seems to be associated with this language processing (in that the same side of the brain processes fine motor control in the majority of people). Being the left hand side of the brain, that explains why most people are right handed.

This link might amuse you.

If the dancer appears to be turning clockwise, you are using the right side of your brain.

If she's turning anti-clockwise, you're using the left.

If the direction of rotation changes, you're switching between the two. Dual processing.

Clockwise for me and I can't even make her go anti-clockwise if I try. I'm not sure what that means :confused:

It's all down to brain function.

From one of the articles that have been linked to on here, it seems to be down to eyesight (which one of the two has the strongest visual range).

Something I found interesting from one of the articles is that all sulphur crested cockatoos are left-footed.

No, that would fit in exactly with what he suggested. The left hemisphere is most often where we process language (70% of people I think), fine motor control seems to be associated with this language processing (in that the same side of the brain processes fine motor control in the majority of people). Being the left hand side of the brain, that explains why most people are right handed.

Fine motor control is done by the Cerebellum and has nothing to do with the left or right side of the brain.

...Something I found interesting from one of the articles is that all sulphur crested cockatoos are left-footed.

Apparently, all tabby cats are female.

Most (but not all) ginger cats are male.

(My brother had a ginger tomcat. He had it neutered and it had kittens.:hihi:)

This link might amuse you.

If the dancer appears to be turning clockwise, you are using the right side of your brain.

If she's turning anti-clockwise, you're using the left.

If the direction of rotation changes, you're switching between the two. Dual processing.

That’s clever I can make her change direction.

Archived