Why have we evolved to have a dominant arm?

Nagel

Fine motor control is done by the Cerebellum and has nothing to do with the left or right side of the brain.

According to the article I linked earlier (which appears to be a serious one) fine motor control is done in either one hemisphere or the other and tends to be the same one that is doing language. Do you have a link that has evidence otherwise?

Ah, a bit of wikipedia later and it appears that the cerebellum has two hemispheres (and a central portion).

In the right-handed person, the left hemisphere of the brain is normally the dominant hemisphere containing fine motor skills functions that are usually indicated by right handed eating, writing, throwing, hair brushing, and etc. In the left-handed person, the right hemisphere will normally control the dominant left side of the body and fine motor skills.

]Like the cerebrum, the cerebellum is covered by cortex and consists of two hemispheres, each of which is divided into lobes. The hemispheres are separated from one another by a thin structure called the vermis, or "worm."

So both right, but most importantly I wasn't wrong :D

This link might amuse you.

If the dancer appears to be turning clockwise, you are using the right side of your brain.

If she's turning anti-clockwise, you're using the left.

If the direction of rotation changes, you're switching between the two. Dual processing.

Clockwise for me and I can't even make her go anti-clockwise if I try. I'm not sure what that means :confused:

Same for me, I can't make her change direction at all.

That’s clever I can make her change direction.
How do you do that then?

How do you do that then?

I looked at her foot shadow and imagined her rotating in the opposite direction to the one I first perceived then looked up.

Latterly, I concentrated on the planar shape of the silhouette and tried to screen out the implied three dimensionality. After doing that a few times I can now just think "other way" and she spins the other way.

I looked at her foot shadow and imagined her rotating in the opposite direction to the one I first perceived then looked up.

Latterly, I concentrated on the planar shape of the silhouette and tried to screen out the implied three dimensionality. After doing that a few times I can now just think "other way" and she spins the other way.

I find it quite bizarre. Someone else showed me the same thing some time back, and I could send her spinning in either direction at will, but now she is resolutely the same way.

How do you do that then?

It's dead easy, if you look away then back.

Look at it when you click on the link - it goes one way. Look away, then look back and it goes the other way.

For me it always goes clockwise when I first look at it, then anti when I re-look. I can't keep it going anti though. It reverts back to clockwise after about 5-10 seconds.

Archived