Should workers/tradespeople be able to use the toilet when in your home?

We had a plumber in to do a repair and we have a dispute and it centre on the time spent on the job.

He spent 1 hour and 5 minute in our home and as such is charging for 2 hours work, the problem/or dispute came about because we allowed him to use our toilet and he spent 10 minutes in there.

NOw had he not visited the loo, the job would have been done in one hour and we would not have been charged as much. The guy used the toilet visit to enable him to charge for an additional hours labour.

What is the crack when it comes to loo visits, are some rogue traders using this to clock up additional work/charges and can we refuse to allow a tradesman to use the toilet unless he agrees to be timed, and the time deducted from the duration of the work.

IE, visit is 1 hour 10 mins, loo visit 20 minutes so we should be charged for 50 minutes work? or i is it best simply to refuse toilet visits to tradespeople that work in your house?

I've checked this on my calculator and 1 hour and 5 minutes, plus 10 minutes in the loo, comes to 1 hour and 15 minutes in total. So I don't see how they can charge you for 2 hours for a start.

The issue of whether to let workmen use your toilets is a sensitive one isn't it? We did a house extension a few years ago and for a while there were no operating toilets on site. I looked into the cost of hiring a portaloo for the builders and it was extortionate - several hundred pounds a month. So I didn't bother. We have a big garden with plenty of mature trees so I thought they could go pee behind them. And as for the other... well, Sainsbury's isn't too far away and they've got nice toilets in there.

I was somewhat dismayed to find that one of the workmen had disregarded the instruction not to use the toilets and left me with his calling card. I couldn't flush the thing because there was nowhere to flush it to. In the end I had to go outside and climb up a ladder, with a plastic bowl, to catch it coming out of the severed soil pipe - and just hope that my bowl was big enough for the haul. Which it was. But descending a ladder with a bowl full of builder's waste was not the highlight of my year.

Personally, I don't usually mind if someone wants to go for a pee when working at my house. But I don't like the idea of them doing anything more than that - it's a difficult subject to broach though.

"Can I use your toilet?" :confused:

"err, well...is it for number 1's or number 2's?" :huh:

"Number 1" - ok, go ahead.:)

alternatively...

"Number 2" - no, go to Sainsbury's. :rant:

We had a plumber in to do a repair and we have a dispute and it centre on the time spent on the job.

He spent 1 hour and 5 minute in our home and as such is charging for 2 hours work, the problem/or dispute came about because we allowed him to use our toilet and he spent 10 minutes in there.

NOw had he not visited the loo, the job would have been done in one hour and we would not have been charged as much. The guy used the toilet visit to enable him to charge for an additional hours labour.

What is the crack when it comes to loo visits, are some rogue traders using this to clock up additional work/charges and can we refuse to allow a tradesman to use the toilet unless he agrees to be timed, and the time deducted from the duration of the work.

IE, visit is 1 hour 10 mins, loo visit 20 minutes so we should be charged for 50 minutes work? or i is it best simply to refuse toilet visits to tradespeople that work in your house?

Worst troll on SF. Worst as in 'not very good at it'.

I've checked this on my calculator and 1 hour and 5 minutes, plus 10 minutes in the loo, comes to 1 hour and 15 minutes in total. So I don't see how they can charge you for 2 hours for a start.

The issue of whether to let workmen use your toilets is a sensitive one isn't it? We did a house extension a few years ago and for a while there were no operating toilets on site. I looked into the cost of hiring a portaloo for the builders and it was extortionate - several hundred pounds a month. So I didn't bother. We have a big garden with plenty of mature trees so I thought they could go pee behind them. And as for the other... well, Sainsbury's isn't too far away and they've got nice toilets in there.

I was somewhat dismayed to find that one of the workmen had disregarded the instruction not to use the toilets and left me with his calling card. I couldn't flush the thing because there was nowhere to flush it to. In the end I had to go outside and climb up a ladder, with a plastic bowl, to catch it coming out of the severed soil pipe - and just hope that my bowl was big enough for the haul. Which it was. But descending a ladder with a bowl full of builder's waste was not the highlight of my year.

Personally, I don't usually mind if someone wants to go for a pee when working at my house. But I don't like the idea of them doing anything more than that - it's a difficult subject to broach though.

"Can I use your toilet?" :confused:

"err, well...is it for number 1's or number 2's?" :huh:

"Number 1" - ok, go ahead.:)

alternatively...

"Number 2" - no, go to Sainsbury's. :rant:

Worst comedian on SF. Worst as in 'not very good at it'.

How much an hour was he? was there a call out charge? what work have you had done? only asking this as this is my job too and if he can get away with it so can I - in future agree a price before work is started, the plumber in question would have an idea of how long the job was going to take if he was not on the job 'blind'... I never have been cheeky enough to quote per hour - tell em a price first and if they like it go for it and get it done :)

Archived