Collecting money for the 'little black babies'

GOLDEN OLDIE

When I was at a Catholic primary school in the late 1940s/ early 50s we used to take money to school for the 'little black babies' in Africa. No idea what the charity was. Also can anyone remember 'Sunny Smiles?' I believe they were children in orphanages. You paid the money and were rewarded with a picture of the child of your choice!

I remember 'Sunny Smiles' where I worked in 1959 a girl there always had a book full of these orphan's. You donated money and she tore the picture of your choice and gave it to you. To be honest she was that crazy about baby's she bought most of them herself.

When I was at a Catholic primary school in the late 1940s/ early 50s we used to take money to school for the 'little black babies' in Africa. No idea what the charity was. Also can anyone remember 'Sunny Smiles?' I believe they were children in orphanages. You paid the money and were rewarded with a picture of the child of your choice!

Yes Stunman, We had a similar thing at Catholic School it was called lamp lighters.

Archived