Why do Muslims/Hindus/Sikhs celebrate christmas

Ok, so I am back at work.

All I have heard this morning is what a wonderful Christmas my fella worker has had. He is Sikh.

I don't want to cause any offence, but I just cannot understand why he celebrates it. They don't believe in Jesus, and really it's not part of the cultural.

Any Sikhs, Hindus or Muslims on here celebrate it, and care to open my mind as to why you celebrate it?

I am sure their god wounldn't like them to do so. :huh:

Thanks.

as far as i'm aware those other religions do believe in Jesus.

as far as i'm aware those other religions do believe in Jesus.

I don't believe in Jesus - i've just celebrated Christmas.

It's a festive holiday from work, nothing else and nothing less UNLESS you are a practising Christian.As the proportion of real Christians is in decline that would make Hindu's/Sikhs/Muslims just as normal as the rest of us.

As far as most Sihks and Hindus are concerned Jesus is a nobody, Muslims think he's pretty cool but not the son of god, so celebrating his birth as if he was might be offensive to them.

yes i know that Muslims honour him as a great prophet.i know as well that some Hindus do.i'm not sure about Sikhs,though most Eastern religions seem to venerate Jesus.

no doubt you will correct me if i'm wrong.?

Sikhs however do not discount that Jesus is a prophet and like Sikh Gurus may be one with God.

Hindus believe that Jesus may have visited India and studied Hindu teachings.

Since how much religious significance we put into Christmas is up to the individual there is no reason why they should not celebrate besides which it helps the children particularly to feel part of the society they are being raised in.

Christmas isn't really a religious celebration any more, it's just part of British culture. We should be glad that people coming to this country from other cultures are embracing our British ways. I can't see anything bad about that at all.

I know that the local Halal butchers opposite the Broadfield pub advertise capons and turkeys for Christmas. I wonder if the celebration of Christmas by Indian and Pakistani people started in the days of British Empire or whether it's more recent since they came to this country to settle? Anyone of Indo-Pak heritage care to answer?

I don't believe in Jesus - i've just celebrated Christmas.

It's a festive holiday from work, nothing else and nothing less UNLESS you are a practising Christian.As the proportion of real Christians is in decline that would make Hindu's/Sikhs/Muslims just as normal as the rest of us.

i don't think anyone is suggesting you or anyone else should not celebrate Christmas are they?

i don't think anyone is suggesting you or anyone else should not celebrate Christmas are they?

Yes, actually.

Firstly, the OP kind of implies it, and then Jeffrey Shaw came on and said it explicitly.

Why do Muslims/HinDUs/Sikhs celebrate christmas? ....they should not.

Archived