Why do Muslims/Hindus/Sikhs celebrate christmas

Every single soul has a different definition of what Christmas means to them, which it understandable. I have looked at the history of this festival, and it doesn't sit with my lifestlye and my beliefs.

:) x

Fair enough, it's not compulsory. :)

Sometimes I have wished it wasn't part of my culture and that I didn't have to celebrate it.

One year I had to go and work in a muslim country over Christmas and found myself in Algeria in the Sahara. It was just Wednesday and there wasn't anything special to celebrate the day. Why would there be, I was in a country which is nearly 100% muslim.

For me there was something missing that year. I came home and everyone had done Christmas and New Year and there was something of a hole in my life. I realised then that Christmas was ingrained in my upbringing and my personal culture.

Fair enough, it's not compulsory. :)

Sometimes I have wished it wasn't part of my culture and that I didn't have to celebrate it.

One year I had to go and work in a muslim country over Christmas and found myself in Algeria in the Sahara. It was just Wednesday and there wasn't anything special to celebrate the day. Why would there be, I was in a country which is nearly 100% muslim.

For me there was something missing that year. I came home and everyone had done Christmas and New Year and there was something of a hole in my life. I realised then that Christmas was ingrained in my upbringing and my personal culture.

How sweet.

I never have celebrated Christmas, but I understand how that must have made you feel.

Every single soul has a different definition of what Christmas means to them, which it understandable. I have looked at the history of this festival, and it doesn't sit with my lifestlye and my beliefs.

yes well thats your choice and i respect that.

for me as a Christian though i don't have a problem with it once being a pagan festival as i assume that my original ancestors were pagans.

I think for me its probably less about religion or even present giving (My daughter feels no great excitement for christmas presents because she gets gifts throughout the year) For me its the one time of the year when family & friends will make that extra effort to get together, which since some of my family & friends live or work out of country its a time when we can guarantee most wont be at work and can get over.

On saying that even as a non Christian i can still appreciate and find joy walking around & seeing the christmas decorations, Ive even been to late nite mass and found it a lovely & peaceful event, and its great walking in the park on Christmas morning and watching the kids out playing excitedly with their new toys

So to me I dont think you have to be of the faith the enjoy some of the things that Christmas brings - Either that or its the only time of year that I completely ditch the healthy eating and exercise plan and let it all hang out - literally hehe.

yes well thats your choice and i respect that.

for me as a Christian though i don't have a problem with it once being a pagan festival as i assume that my original ancestors were pagans.

Well that is your choice.

I don't know what my ancestors believed in, however for me it isn't about them, it's what I believe that is important.

I think for me its probably less about religion or even present giving (My daughter feels no great excitement for christmas presents because she gets gifts throughout the year) For me its the one time of the year when family & friends will make that extra effort to get together, which since some of my family & friends live or work out of country its a time when we can guarantee most wont be at work and can get over.

On saying that even as a non Christian i can still appreciate and find joy walking around & seeing the christmas decorations, Ive even been to late nite mass and found it a lovely & peaceful event, and its great walking in the park on Christmas morning and watching the kids out playing excitedly with their new toys

So to me I dont think you have to be of the faith the enjoy some of the things that Christmas brings - Either that or its the only time of year that I completely ditch the healthy eating and exercise plan and let it all hang out - literally hehe.

yes thats a great way to enjoy Christmas.

Archived