Low energy light bulbs. Surely we could do better.

We have just had a new downstairs toilet installed and the light takes a 10 watt screw fixing bulb. The only bulb that will fit is the shape and size of a golf ball and has a plastic case over the tubes.

The problem is that the bulb takes around 2 seconds to actually light at all, and then gives a pathetic glow for around a minute. By the time the thing is actually giving any worthwhile light most folks have left the room anyhow. As a consequence we leave the light on almost permanently so it probably uses far more energy than an old fashioned bulb would.

Surely this isn't the best we can design in the 21st century. Is it?

We have just had a new downstairs toilet installed and the light takes a 10 watt screw fixing bulb. The only bulb that will fit is the shape and size of a golf ball and has a plastic case over the tubes.

The problem is that the bulb takes around 2 seconds to actually light at all, and then gives a pathetic glow for around a minute. By the time the thing is actually giving any worthwhile light most folks have left the room anyhow. As a consequence we leave the light on almost permanently so it probably uses far more energy than an old fashioned bulb would.

Think you might splash guards for that one. Why don't you go outside like the rest of us? To posh eh?

I think LED lights will be where the future of lighting is going to be. They already used in kitchens and bathrooms and for things like stage lighting and gigs. They've got loads better over the past few years.

I have to say, though, I have energy saving bulbs in our bedside lamps and they are just as good as the old kind. They kick out loads of light and get to full strength pretty quickly.

Blame it on whoever decided to fit a fitting like that as there are plenty to chose from that will take a full sized CF bulb if needed. The one I have in my toilet, an 18w CF, is instant on and takes around 6 seconds at the most to full brightness.

Try a halogen one instead as they are instant on and bright from the start.

I think LED lights will be where the future of lighting is going to be. They already used in kitchens and bathrooms and for things like stage lighting and gigs. They've got loads better over the past few years.

I have to say, though, I have energy saving bulbs in our bedside lamps and they are just as good as the old kind. They kick out loads of light and get to full strength pretty quickly.

Maybe the fitters where a load of crap? :roll:

Indeed, put some fixtures in over the summer which come with a warning message that to look into the light at closer than 6m can damage your eyesight. Admittedly, that is a 350W light cluster (7x50W), but one of those LEDs would be bright enough to light a toilet.

Archived