Low energy light bulbs. Surely we could do better.

I was in a discount store in Barnsley last week ,and they were still selling the old 100W standad light bulb,. cant beat em .

Those silly energy saving ones are very dim ,much like the person who came up with the daft idea of inventing them.

No, what's dim are the people who buy the wrong ones and then complain about how bad they are, they do come in different wattage ranges after all.

@angelfire1

With the old fashioned incandescent bulbs most of the electrical energy used is made up of heat and only around 10% is light. With CF's its the other way around thus making them more efficient. Another bonus is they also last much longer.

I think LED lights will be where the future of lighting is going to be. They already used in kitchens and bathrooms and for things like stage lighting and gigs. They've got loads better over the past few years.

I have to say, though, I have energy saving bulbs in our bedside lamps and they are just as good as the old kind. They kick out loads of light and get to full strength pretty quickly.

Yes they are improving in leaps and bounds.

I have them in kitchen and bathroom replacing halogen 50w.

The ones in the kitchen were purchased a while ago and are a decent replacement in terms of output, but the bathroom has more modern led's

fitted and I think they are actually brighter. And of course full brightness instantly.

The power saving is remarkable though. 4w compared to 50w so if you have 4 downlighters in a room it's worth the investment (they are expensive for decent quality ones)

Yes they are improving in leaps and bounds.

I have them in kitchen and bathroom replacing halogen 50w.

The one in the kitchen were purchased a while ago and are a decent replacement in terms of output, but the bathroom has more modern led's

fitted and I think they are actually brighter. And of course full brightness instantly.

The power saving is remarkable though. 4w compared to 50w so if you have 4 downlighters in a room it's worth the investment (they are expensive for decent quality ones)

Oh and if buying LED replacements, don't buy from the highstreet DIY stores. They're charging massively inflated prices compared to what you can get online (probably because you won't need to go back for a few years).

I think LED lights will be where the future of lighting is going to be. They already used in kitchens and bathrooms and for things like stage lighting and gigs. They've got loads better over the past few years.

I have to say, though, I have energy saving bulbs in our bedside lamps and they are just as good as the old kind. They kick out loads of light and get to full strength pretty quickly.

We've moved all our spotlights in the house (about 20 of them, in total) to LEDs and its saved us a fortune. The cost of lighting the three rooms that had them, I can now run my dishwasher for the cost. Moved from like 300 watts per room to 15W - MUCH brighter as well, and just light up right away

I have just reluctantly replaced a 100W bayonet cap bulb (old type) with an ugly (new type) Philips 75W equivalent energy saving bulb - the bedroom now looks like a gloomy damp cave which is not the look I was after.

I will be searching the shops for some good old fashioned light bulbs to stockpile - cant live in this depressing half-darkness

Tell me again, what was wrong with the "old" fashioned bulbs.

They're inefficient. (Approx 90% of the power used by an incandescent bulb is emitted as heat.)

Why were these pathetic glowing orbs be foisted upon us.

I'd give odds the EU had a hand in it, somewhere along the line.

Angel.

Shop around. Early ESBs were slow to start, but newer models reach full brightness pretty quickly. They also come in a range of shapes and sizes, so you're not stuck with a 'pathetic glowing orb'.

I have just reluctantly replaced a 100W bayonet cap bulb (old type) with an ugly (new type) Philips 75W equivalent energy saving bulb - the bedroom now looks like a gloomy damp cave which is not the look I was after.

I will be searching the shops for some good old fashioned light bulbs to stockpile - cant live in this depressing half-darkness

Is that a surprise? If you'd replaced it with a 75W conventional bulb it would have made the room look dim as well.

Is that a surprise? If you'd replaced it with a 75W conventional bulb it would have made the room look dim as well.

It was the nearest I had to 100 and I expected it to be slightly dimmer, but this is a completely different type of light cast around the room - miserable!

Same here, only mine have been in for a while, take about 10 minutes to give a decent amount of light off. The old bayonet one in the bedroom has just blown, I went to Tesco yesterday, and saw them for I think £1.97 each, which I thought was rather expensive actually, and they were only 40w. I'm going to look in town in a bit for some cheaper.

Archived