Why do some people talk posh on the phone?

Having worked in service industries for many years, I am well aware of the Hyacinth Bucket receptionists. It's very left wing to accuse working class people of talking 'posh' on the phone, my wife attended elocution lessons in order to get a job in a solicitor's office, and it worked.

But was the solicitor from Sheffield?

Your not you're is the possessive.I see what you mean about the need for private help(with your English,though your logic is floorlees)

Ah yes, if you can't beat the argument, attack the grammatical error and throw in a little bit of being rude to the poster. Everyone can now see just how sound your point was.

PS - if you want to comment on the quality of English you'd do well to put your own house in order first.

Well my son went to a local comp and is now at Oxford-we did not think further help from the private sector would be of benefit,and his state school experience gave him 4 grade As.I do a great deal of tuition for nice but dim children who cannot perform despite a private education.If you have quality private help is quite superfluous.

You're probably wrong though. If you'd paid for a better education he might have had five grade A's.

I understand both his father and grandfather were in banking. Hence the reason why he is so protective of the banking system and against the EU's proposals of more effective de-regulation of the banks.

Unlike George Osborne, his family are big in the wallpaper game.

You're probably wrong though. If you'd paid for a better education he might have had five grade A's.

I must emphasise that is unusual to take 5 A levels and no private sector school does more than 4 simultaneously,and Oxbridge require only 3 A levels,albeit at high grades.

Ah yes, if you can't beat the argument, attack the grammatical error and throw in a little bit of being rude to the poster. Everyone can now see just how sound your point was.

PS - if you want to comment on the quality of English you'd do well to put your own house in order first.

I feel I can do both.You are the one casting aspersions and making comments.The spelling of floorless was a deliberate mistake so I feel my house is neat and tidy.No-one ,except a show-off will sit 5 A-levels and most universities avoid showboating of that order.Private education,like cosmetic surgery is marketed needlessly as the prime motive is commercial rather than educational.

Are you really so stupid as to not recognise sarcasm?

Wise readers will ignore sarcasm to deny the poster the satisfaction they seek.Your reaction is to denigrate and make personal comments.I thought, from your recent post, that you were agin this.

Archived