Why do some people talk posh on the phone?

• 3 weeks later...

I adapt my pattern of speech to match with the person i am speaking to.

For example if someone posh speaks to me,I reply in a posh voice.

If someone,of the younger generation (those i can understand) says "innit" i will reply in the same mode of speech.

Is that pretentious or what.:hihi:

Some people who would normally talk really broad Yorkshire go all "namby pamby" sounding when they answer the phone.

I presume, because until they answer the phone they don't know who it is.

Why do they put a silly pretend posh voice on like Mrs Bucket used to?

Perhaps for much the same reason you might dress smarter when meeting people you don't know, or wear a suit to work when you never wear suits?

Why not just be yourself and pick the phone up and say "What's tha want cocker":)

If you're talking to someone who doesn't know you or isn't local, then speaking like that makes you sound a bit retarded. Who knows, the person phoning might be ringing to offer you that opportunity of a lifetime ;)

If you're talking to someone who doesn't know you or isn't local, then speaking like that makes you sound a bit retarded. Who knows, the person phoning might be ringing to offer you that opportunity of a lifetime ;)

Makes you sound retarded? what an awful way to describe someone just because of their accent! I am a qualified lawyer and I was brought up on a council estate. I am proud of my background and I honestly believe my upbringing assists with my understanding of the difficulties people face in life.

Also I think it is because first impressions are everything.

They can't judge you I'd they cant see you so Wil judge you by your voice and phone mannerisms.

If you saw a kid with a hoodie walking by most people assume chav, trouble and teens.

So imagine what people would think I'd you rang up and said " yo dis is charley and I'm ring from my crib about a job your offering"

They would assume chav and probably cut me off lol.

Also I think it is because first impressions are everything.

They can't judge you I'd they cant see you so Wil judge you by your voice and phone mannerisms.

If you saw a kid with a hoodie walking by most people assume chav, trouble and teens.

So imagine what people would think I'd you rang up and said " yo dis is charley and I'm ring from my crib about a job your offering"

They would assume chav and probably cut me off lol.

Dos yo still want that job bruv,innitt?

Archived