Why do some people talk posh on the phone?

You misunderstand.

If you were to keep your Football match levels after you left the football match and went into a shop, in favour of a more, demure attidude, you might find yourself in trouble with people who didn't like the way you're speaking.

That's because it's not generally acceptable to shout profanities in a supermarket.

So now you see how people communicate differently and adopt the appropriate behaviour suited to the particular environment they're in at that time.

Thus proving my point, people behave/speak differently depending on their environment/situation, and doing so is not cause for any mental concern about that person.

But many people never shout profanities at a football match and behave in a manner that would also be suited to a supermarket. I would suggest that what you are considering to be peoples adaptation to their environment is simply what others would regard as hypocricy.

So why is the most popular accent in a call centre for example, Geordie?

I'll tell you, because people regard it as down to earth and honest :)

And furthermore why do people in foreign call centres (Indian call centres for example) attempt to try to speak perfect English and attempt to be accepted as English.

But many people never shout profanities at a football match and behave in a manner that would also be suited to a supermarket. I would suggest that what you are considering to be peoples adaptation to their environment is simply what others would regard as hypocricy.

I see where you're coming from and I have thought about whether it's hypocritical or not.

But the truth is, unless you have some sort of mental disorder, everybody on the world changes their behavior according to environment/company and anybody who says they don't, is clearly not aware or their own actions/behaviours.

I contend that people with broad accents tend to try to "lighten" them a little , when they are attempting to be posh.

Because people have preconceptions about people with certain accents and many people are stereotyped because of the way they speak.

You could have two people going for a nanny job, one who sounded like Mary Poppins, and the other who sounded like Vinnie Jones, who do you think is going to get the job?

Now do you see why the person who sounds like Vinnie Jones might want to try to sound a little more neutral, accent wise?

Because people have preconceptions about people with certain accents and many people are stereotyped because of the way they speak.

You could have two people going for a nanny job, one who sounded like Mary Poppins, and the other who sounded like Vinnie Jones, who do you think is going to get the job?

Now do you see why the person who sounds like Vinnie Jones might want to try to sound a little more neutral, accent wise?

Vinnie Jones would never apply for a job as a nanny. Ho would not be able to hit the high notes to sing "Spoonful of sugar" anyhow.:roll:

Archived