Why do some people talk posh on the phone?

Vinnie Jones would never apply for a job as a nanny. Ho would not be able to hit the high notes to sing "Spoonful of sugar" anyhow.:roll:

Well I did say somebody who sounded like Vinnie Jones but seeing as you're clearly want to go off topic I'll take that as an admittance of defeat and another win for the Forumosaurus Rex.

Check my picture

<<<

That's my expression right now.

Well I did say somebody who sounded like Vinnie Jones but seeing as you're clearly want to go off topic I'll take that as an admittance of defeat and another win for the Forumosaurus Rex.

Check my picture

<<<

Would the soundalike Vinnie be male also as this would likley deplete the chance of obtaining employment as a Nanny.

Check my picture

<<<

You continue to delude yourself for as long as it pleases you.:roll:

Absolutely right. If I'm speaking to a professional colleague I wouldn't use the type of endearments and casual speech I'd use to family and friends. It is also frustrating when people have so little awareness that they can't adapt their speech in order to be understood.

When I was a child in the 1950s we weren't allowed to use slang or dialect in school, and many children had two different styles of speaking. The ones who spoke with a rough accent at home soon managed to pick up the standard speech that was expected in school. That doesn't seem to have been the case for a long time now.

Completely agree there Ms Macbeth, although as a 70's child I hate the use of slang and always correct my daughter when she uses it, although I think its inheritted from my mother who when she was young worked as a furrier for John Atkinson and she was taught how to address customers and how to speak correctly and has always been nicely spoken.

But I am guilty of putting on my posh voice when speaking on the phone, but I think its more because much of what we say is lost on the phone so my intention is to speak more slowly and clearer so that I am understood rather then to try and make out I am better then i am.

I don't talk "posh" on the phone, not on the mobile anyway, in fact more often than not I end up shouting, I don't know whether it's me or the phone, but whenever I ring landlines on my Galaxy S2, the person on the other end complains that they can't hear me, even when there's no background noise! I do soften my broad Yorkshire accent on the landline though, especially when on with call centre workers who constantly ring me up despite me being ex-directory AND on TPS at the Flat! :loopy:

But can you talk posh and be a Sheffielder?

Also, where abouts do posh Sheffielders live?

Apparently, "posh" Sheffielders live in Dore, Totley, Beauchief, or Whirlow.. Some even live in S11, in areas such as Ecclesall allegedly.. :hihi:

But can you talk posh and be a Sheffielder?

Also, where abouts do posh Sheffielders live?

Please dont confuse posh speak with clear articulation-many Sheffield people are inarticulate and lack self -confidence.This explains why so few people leave the city-they are teased mercilessly elsewhere for the clumsy dialect.This is wrong but it happens,and many have to smarten up to be comprehensible.Peter Stringfellow is one who now speaks well in public,an excellent role model as is Jarvis Cocker.

Please dont confuse posh speak with clear articulation-many Sheffield people are inarticulate and lack self -confidence.This explains why so few people leave the city-they are teased mercilessly elsewhere for the clumsy dialect.This is wrong but it happens,and many have to smarten up to be comprehensible.Peter Stringfellow is one who now speaks well in public,an excellent role model as is Jarvis Cocker.

And that bloke out of the Arctic Monkeys! :hihi:

why are they excellent role models? i would question that.

as for the issue of the way they speak,you can certainly still detect a yorkshire accent with Stringfellow though he's lived down South for years.

i imagine he has tried hard to lose the accent completely but has never managed it.

Archived