Why do some people talk posh on the phone?

Having worked in service industries for many years, I am well aware of the Hyacinth Bucket receptionists. It's very left wing to accuse working class people of talking 'posh' on the phone, my wife attended elocution lessons in order to get a job in a solicitor's office, and it worked.

I have no problems with accents, poor diction and bad manners are another matter, I don't like being called 'luv' or 'sweatheart' by someone 40 odd years younger than me who I have never met, and I am not the 'mate' of some 20 year old smart arse.

Phone me and you will be talking to someone with a half decent, but sort of articulate Yorkshire accent, that I an very proud of, I do have to admit to a few 'nowt but justs, but just put that down to my age.'

Having worked in service industries for many years, I am well aware of the Hyacinth Bucket receptionists. It's very left wing to accuse working class people of talking 'posh' on the phone, my wife attended elocution lessons in order to get a job in a solicitor's office, and it worked.

I have no problems with accents, poor diction and bad manners are another matter, I don't like being called 'luv' or 'sweatheart' by someone 40 odd years younger than me who I have never met, and I am not the 'mate' of some 20 year old smart arse.

Phone me and you will be talking to someone with a half decent, but sort of articulate Yorkshire accent, that I an very proud of, I do have to admit to a few 'nowt but justs, but just put that down to my age.'

I remember you were replaced as a doorman in a large office block,Victor.I did not realise Mrs Melldrew worked at a solicitors,her being in a house coat when she returned from work.Perhaps she did a spot of cleaning after hours?

I remember you were replaced as a doorman nin a large office block,Victor.I did not realise Mrs Melldrew worked at a solicitors,her being in a house coat when she returned from work.Perhaps she did a spot of cleaning after hours?

Well, if you could just brush up on your spelling, punctuation and grammar, I might just have a clue as to what you are attempting to say.

Hmmm......The term apartments is often used by estate agents in England today. I realise that it is another Americanism that has crept in however.:(
OMG you'll all be going on vacations soon, renting cars at Orlando airport and driving cars with the steering wheel on the wrong side, putting your luggage in the trunk, and opening the hood to check the oil, and checking the tire pressure, hoping the muffler don't fall off, and eating blueberry muffins with maple syrup. Lord help you.:)By the way, that's realiZe

I tend to pronounce words better on the phone now than I used to. But I think that is simply because when I used to work in a Solicitors, you had to sound 'professional' on the phone. I couldnt ring up someone and say "nah then Gert yer cheques bounced and we were takin' you to Coowart!" Thus I had to change pronunciation, and it has stuck with me since that. Sometimes my inner Yorkshire comes out and sometimes I stop afterwards and say "bloody hell that wa' proper Yorkshire".

I still have my Yorkshire twang. Everyone at work here in Chesterfield caught onto it instantly, and now I am the Company dee-dah!

OMG you'll all be going on vacations soon, renting cars at Orlando airport and driving cars with the steering wheel on the wrong side, putting your luggage in the trunk, and opening the hood to check the oil, and checking the tire pressure, hoping the muffler don't fall off, and eating blueberry muffins with maple syrup. Lord help you.:)

Manchester United Baseball team would not do it for me!:roll:

Archived