Why are people unwilling to work in the oil industry?

Nagel

The oil industry has big problems recruiting people and it's actually hampering development in some areas. Why is this when there's huge unemployment in most parts of the UK?

In Aberdeen unemployment is 0.4% and the economy is booming, yet the companies complain they can't get anyone to work offshore. I don't know why because it pays well and you get 6 months a year off.

Watch this - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16359166

And read this - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14521890

"Oil and gas companies are expected to create some 15,000 new jobs in the UK over the next five years, according to the latest research from the industry body Opito.

But it also said that more than half of the 144 companies surveyed cited attracting appropriately skilled staff as their number one challenge."

Because it's dangerous and they might not want to spend 6 months away from their families and friends?

I see your moral point, trying to suggest that if you're unemployed you should take whatever jobs you can.

But you asked for the reason and, I just gave you the reason.

BP 'cannot find skilled workers'

A shortage of engineering skills

Could the underlined words be a hint?

BP's emblem may be some sort of flower, but it appears they are not looking for flower arrangers.

Many companies in many countries are crying out for suitably-qualified engineers. It seems that if you have the right qualifications and are prepared to move to where the jobs are, there is no shortage of jobs.

I know friend of a friend who does three weeks on three weeks off doing 12 hour shifts on a rig. Not something I personally would have an issue doing and to be honest it would appear my life will not go down the marriage with 2.4 children route so again I would not necessarily have a problem with this.

I did look into it about 2 or 3 years ago but I have never done anything engineering based so would guess thats still the same? Although tbh I could have looked more thoroughly at the time.

A lot of people though nowadays would rather sit on their backside. Where I work now we struggle for recruitment. Dont know too much about the ins and out's of the oil industry but wouldn't surprise me if idleness and the job being offshore has something to do with the oil industry struggling to recruit?

Because it's dangerous and they might not want to spend 6 months away from their families and friends?

I see your moral point, trying to suggest that if you're unemployed you should take whatever jobs you can.

But you asked for the reason and, I just gave you the reason.

I'm not trying to make any kind of moral point, it's just that I work on offshore rigs and always have. I can't imagine ever doing a 9 to 5 job, going to work every day and only having two days off a week.

I'm used to doing about three weeks away then having anything from three to six weeks off in between. For instance I've been home since mid-November and expect to go away to work again one week into the New Year.

I probably see more of family and friends than someone working a regular job.

As for dangerous, safety standards have improved a lot in the last couple of decades. I just don't understand why people are unwilling to work on rigs as there's a world of opportunity out there.

Piper Alpha.....

Piper Alpha was when everything changed. After the results of the inquiry were adopted it all became a lot safer.

I note in your signature that you are a tree surgeon. Isn't that one of the most dangerous jobs in Britain?

" ... unable to recruit ..." is trotted out very often.

What it usually hides is that skilled/qualified people are unwilling to apply for the pitiful salaries being offered.

I can confirm that the salaries are the opposite of pitiful.

Archived