Why are people unwilling to work in the oil industry?

Nagel

morals?

my grandparents tried to get me to go for a graduate program with news international. I declined the interview. shock horror 6 months later the whole group is up on charges of phone hacking.

Morals would be a good reason and I can understand that some people would avoid working for the oil industry because they had moral objections. Fair enough.

Nagel - so, it's great pay and as well as the weeks offshore there can be plenty of time at home too; so tell me, what qualifications and experience are required to work offshore?

As a pretty average bloke, what would my chances be of getting work on a rig?

Nagel - so, it's great pay and as well as the weeks offshore there can be plenty of time at home too; so tell me, what qualifications and experience are required to work offshore?

As a pretty average bloke, what would my chances be of getting work on a rig?

Beat me to it!

I'm up here in Scotland,and would certainly consider a career on the rigs(if 43 aint too old)

I'm sure it's not only engineers they are wanting.

Some links/ info would be useful.

Unless you have had previous work in the industry, a job on an oil rig will be pretty impossible without some sort of Engineering degree.

My mates father has worked on the rigs for 20+ years,and he got his son a job on them.He had no engineering background,but hated it anyway,and jacked it in after a few months.Not sure what job he was doing on the rigs,but i'm sure there must be plenty of different kinds of jobs on them.

Archived