Why are people unwilling to work in the oil industry?

Nagel

The oil industry has big problems recruiting people and it's actually hampering development in some areas. Why is this when there's huge unemployment in most parts of the UK?

In Aberdeen unemployment is 0.4% and the economy is booming, yet the companies complain they can't get anyone to work offshore. I don't know why because it pays well and you get 6 months a year off.

"

0.4% unemployment is an incredibly low figure. Less than one in 200. When you take into account the proportion of incompetent/unemployable types of working age, you might as well call it zero unemployment. As such, it indicates that people do want to work in the oil industry, in fact so much so that unemployment in Britain's biggest 'oil' town is running at 1/16th the national average.

Maybe you should change the thread title to 'why do so many people want to work in the oil industry?'

Nagel - so, it's great pay and as well as the weeks offshore there can be plenty of time at home too; so tell me, what qualifications and experience are required to work offshore?

As a pretty average bloke, what would my chances be of getting work on a rig?

I'd suggest doing an offshore safety and survival course, of which the closest is HOTA in Hull. Cost about £600.

Then an offshore medical, cost £65. There's a doctor in Broomhill accredited to do these.

Then pester every drilling company in Aberdeen for a job. Any job, because once you have a start on a rig you don't need qualifications to progress, you just need to show ability. There's people working in top positions on rigs that have no qualifications.

It looks like you need a degree in an engineering or maths based discipline to become a petroleum engineer. Maybe thats why theres a shortage?, because if you have any other degree you cant do masters, therefore cant retrain as an engineer.

It looks like you need a degree in an engineering or maths based discipline to become a petroleum engineer. Maybe thats why theres a shortage?, because if you have any other degree you cant do masters, therefore cant retrain as an engineer.

Yes, you would, but there are a lot more jobs available than petroleum engineer. Petroleum engineers work in oil company offices rather than offshore and can really earn a lot of money because of the shortage.

It sounds like a good life anyway and the work sounds interesting, plentiful and varied, don't know why more kids don't get in to it.

Do you work freelance then or work on one particular site for one company?

I work for one particular company on various rigs, mainly in a well known Scandinavian country. I've also worked freelance in the past and worldwide.

Archived