Remember an old pub now demolished

Cookingfat

hi when i was 16 i worked on ellin st at the bottom of the moor, were staples is on the other side of the road was hereford street and it crossed the main road towards st marys ro on a small piece of land like a big triangle stood a pub called the briclayers arms it was demolisher in the early 70s i think can anyone else remember it no one i have spoken to can remember it nor a pub on the moor called the travellers can anyone remember that one i am curious, that they are not a figment of my imagination

The "Dennison" cant remember the road but it was in upperthorpe near Tescos.

"Albion hotel" on Brook drive at netherthorpe my dad was a landlord there in the mid 90s although it isnt quit demolished it is now student flats plenty of fond memories of the old locals:P

Yes - the Denison Arms, on the corner of Watery Street and Malinda Street (near where the "Medico-Legal Centre" is now). Here's a link to a photo on the picturesheffield.com site.

The Bricklayers Arms was at 66 Hereford Street, near the corner with St Mary's Lane. Fond memories of both....:)

Yes you are right,the Travellers on the Moor was known for its mixed? customers.My dad spent hours in the pubs collecting bets,thats what he said anyhow.
your dad could well have taken bets iin the pub before betting shops became legal on high streets my dad was also a bookies runner taking bets on street corners to make a bob or 2

I used to work in Barclays by the roundabout at the end of the Moor and I saw the Bricklayers but never went in it. Around 1964, The Hermitage opened. I 'lunched' there a few times. I think the ale was Wards - it was an excellent pint.

The first time I went in the Travellers Rest was with 2 mates one Saturday afternoon in about 1968. I just remember it was so dark inside I could hardly tell who else was in the pub at the time. We left in the company of 3 girls, closely followed by three extremely undesireable 'locals' who had bad reputations for inflicting pain on people they didn't like. To cut a long story short, somehow I managed to avoid getting my head kicked in and was invited back to the Travellers that night with my new 'girlfriend'. I never felt comfortable there, it was a rough, rowdy, dangerous place frequented by thugs and skinheads. No place for a grammar school educated poet and pacifist so I went back to my own half of town and never went there again. :)

The first time I went in the Travellers Rest was with 2 mates one Saturday afternoon in about 1968. I just remember it was so dark inside I could hardly tell who else was in the pub at the time. We left in the company of 3 girls, closely followed by three extremely undesireable 'locals' who had bad reputations for inflicting pain on people they didn't like. To cut a long story short, somehow I managed to avoid getting my head kicked in and was invited back to the Travellers that night with my new 'girlfriend'. I never felt comfortable there, it was a rough, rowdy, dangerous place frequented by thugs and skinheads. No place for a grammar school educated poet and pacifist so I went back to my own half of town and never went there again. :)

Did it have Gloria the barman, and the mynah bird that imitated his gay talk? I never had one ounce of trouble from the 'townies'. I found them to be the salt of the earth, don't get me wrong if you upset them you were in trouble, but why bother, you just had to remember not to play cards with them. :gag:

Archived