Remember an old pub now demolished

Cookingfat

Did it have Gloria the barman, and the mynah bird that imitated his gay talk? I never had one ounce of trouble from the 'townies'. I found them to be the salt of the earth, don't get me wrong if you upset them you were in trouble, but why bother, you just had to remember not to play cards with them. :gag:

Hi Junction 1

In answer to both your questions I believe the barman/girls name was Shirley he was a very nice boy if you know what I mean also little George who at closing time EVERY night would shout up the stairs where the large asperdespera stood "Come back Jack all is forgiven" holding a small green watering can in his hand the alsatian dogs name was Shandy I cant remember the mynah birds name which was kept in the small dram shop on the right hand side as you went in off the Moor entrance but i have still never heard a more clear sounding talking bird to this day whenever the door opened it would shout out in the clearest of voices " SHUT THAT F**KING DOOR" the Travs was one of my locals as was the Brickies and all the other ale houses around the London rd area if my memory is serving me well Gloria only went in as a customer I had some of my best nights out in the Travs with the live bands and Ron Delta as compair HAPPY DAYS.

The first time I went in the Travellers Rest was with 2 mates one Saturday afternoon in about 1968. I just remember it was so dark inside I could hardly tell who else was in the pub at the time. We left in the company of 3 girls, closely followed by three extremely undesireable 'locals' who had bad reputations for inflicting pain on people they didn't like. To cut a long story short, somehow I managed to avoid getting my head kicked in and was invited back to the Travellers that night with my new 'girlfriend'. I never felt comfortable there, it was a rough, rowdy, dangerous place frequented by thugs and skinheads. No place for a grammar school educated poet and pacifist so I went back to my own half of town and never went there again. :)

Hi Downsunder

I take it the other side of town you are on about must have been the Cannon on Kings st :roll: .

Yes - the Denison Arms, on the corner of Watery Street and Malinda Street (near where the "Medico-Legal Centre" is now). Here's a link to a photo on the picturesheffield.com site.

The Bricklayers Arms was at 66 Hereford Street, near the corner with St Mary's Lane. Fond memories of both....:)

I’m trying to remember the pub just round the corner from the Denison. The juke box was under the dart board. Was it the white horse??

Hi Junction 1

In answer to both your questions I believe the barman/girls name was Shirley he was a very nice boy if you know what I mean also little George who at closing time EVERY night would shout up the stairs where the large asperdespera stood "Come back Jack all is forgiven" holding a small green watering can in his hand the alsatian dogs name was Shandy I cant remember the mynah birds name which was kept in the small dram shop on the right hand side as you went in off the Moor entrance but i have still never heard a more clear sounding talking bird to this day whenever the door opened it would shout out in the clearest of voices " SHUT THAT F**KING DOOR" the Travs was one of my locals as was the Brickies and all the other ale houses around the London rd area if my memory is serving me well Gloria only went in as a customer I had some of my best nights out in the Travs with the live bands and Ron Delta as compair HAPPY DAYS.

Thanks for that Jack, they were good days indeed, I have posted a thread about our missing pubs called 'How old were these Sheffield city centre pubs?' on the history channel, you could very likely add to it due to your knowledge on such matters.

I’m trying to remember the pub just round the corner from the Denison. The juke box was under the dart board. Was it the white horse??
Yes - spot on. The White Horse was at 57 Malinda Street, on the corner of Henry Street - here's another link to a photo on the picturesheffield.com site..:)

Yes - spot on. The White Horse was at 57 Malinda Street, on the corner of Henry Street - here's another link to a photo on the picturesheffield.com site..:)

hiya my dad would talk about the old pubs but in his day they were talked about by the landlords name, eg elliots, gillies,harvey floods, and others but one when he lived down st philips area it was known as the low drop.

i suppose all the ones the ones remembered by my age group are all hasbeens, remember when there were no music only an upright joanna, and playing doms and cards but showing no money on the table.

Hi im not sure about the white horse, but could it have been the Meadow street hotel to the locals "medda" its now student accomodation opposit the shell garage on st philips road.

Hi im not sure about the white horse, but could it have been the Meadow street hotel to the locals "medda" its now student accomodation opposit the shell garage on st philips road.

White Horse, 57 Malinda Street.

Edit: just noticed, hillsbro's post.

Archived