Remember an old pub now demolished

Cookingfat

Yes - spot on. The White Horse was at 57 Malinda Street, on the corner of Henry Street - here's another link to a photo on the picturesheffield.com site..:)

hiya isn't it funny when you read some of these posts and one thing leads to another like an old pub around fitzwilliam st when i was very smal i only remember an old shell of a building we always thought it was bomb damaged during the war or was it part of the 1936 slum clearance, it was called FITZWILLIAM HOTEL on the corners of fitzwilliam and broomhall streets

and as i said in my earlier letter, at my age the locals we knew had all but gone now just think 22 pubs in walking distance from my home in the 40s 50s

Some great pubs long gone that we used when we did the top rooard crawl (Langsett Road) Hampton View, Victoria Vaults, Lyceum and Little Cuthbert, there was also the Little Beehive, can't remember ever using this though. it looked such a pokey little ole. Sometimes we would make it as far as the Old Light Horseman and Royal Lancers again good boozer's long gone.

... there was also the Little Beehive...
You're dead right - I'd forgotten this Bee Hive on the corner of Creswick Street (the bigger one on Dykes Hall Road is now a branch of Tesco..:() Here's a link to a photo on the picturesheffield.com site.
...Do you have a link for the General Gordon?
I'm afraid not, though I remember the pub at the bottom end of Albert Terrace Road.

You're dead right - I'd forgotten this Bee Hive on the corner of Creswick Street (the bigger one on Dykes Hall Road is now a branch of Tesco..:() Here's a link to a photo on the picturesheffield.com site.I'm afraid not, though I remember the pub at the bottom end of Albert Terrace Road.

I have been told that my great uncle lived on Albert Terrace Road before WWI.

I remember walking along Corporation Street, toward West Bar, during the 50's and seeing a pub to the right up Spring Street. It was a little pub and I think they called it the 'Gun' or 'The Rifle' or something. I never called in. It always seemed dark and quite forlorn. I don't suppose it survived in the great Sheffield clear out. Indeed, I don't suppose Spring Street exsists anymore.

I remember walking along Corporation Street, toward West Bar, during the 50's and seeing a pub to the right up Spring Street. It was a little pub and I think they called it the 'Gun' or 'The Rifle' or something. I never called in. It always seemed dark and quite forlorn. I don't suppose it survived in the great clear out. Indeed, I don't suppose Spring Street exsists anymore.

It was the Rifle Tavern,it was actually No 15 Bower Street.

sweatshop boy named a lot of good old pubs , and if you made it as far as the royal lancers you must have done the 2 over the road the owl and the don inn, the owl was john smiths the don was tennants ( whitbread ) my dad was landord of the don in about 1959

Archived