Working New Year's Eve for minimum wage

Hi everyone!

I work part-time at a city centre bar. All staff are expected to work either NYE or Christmas eve, and we all assumed that we'd be receiving a bonus or time and a half for working these incredibly busy, late shifts. Turns out that we've got to do it for minimum wage. I understand that there's no legal requirement to pay us extra, but the taxi home on NYE (if I can even get one) will cost me the equivalent of at least 2 hours work and it's barely going to be even worth my while, especially when the clientèle are loud, drunk and sometimes abusive.

I know a lot of people are without jobs at the moment, so it's not popular to complain, but suppose I just wanted a moan! Am I justified in moaning? I want to say something to my boss, but I don't know if I'll end up being sacked...

At a guess you would be finishing work long after the public transport has stopped so wont your boss be obliged to get you from work to home?

A good few years ago many people booking taxi's to travel home from work on festive days where the public transport had stopped would need receipts to claim back the fare, I think Asda still taxi their staff home when public transport finishes (those without cars of course) doesnt your employer have a responsibility to get you home safely at that hour?

When I worked in pubs I got the same for my shifts on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve and New Year's Day as I did for other shifts (at that time it was £6 per shift, so that tells you how long ago it was!) so unless the law has changed on employment or your contract states otherwise I don't think that you will have a leg to stand on in getting your boss to increase your wages for the shift. Sorry and all that.

Surely working in a bar the assumption on the wages would be that you'll get more tips than normal due to being busier and this will make up for it? It's worth asking about the taxi though, even a contribution to the extra it will cost due to the day, if you do it nicely it shouldn't cause any problems.

Might not be in a contract but its par for the course to get more cash for bank holidays and festive periods. I think this is bad form from your employer.

My little cousin got triple time for bar work christmas day! Like you said taxis are expensive and late night opening with drunk and abusive customers.

Archived