Working New Year's Eve for minimum wage

Might not be in a contract but its par for the course to get more cash for bank holidays and festive periods. I think this is bad form from your employer.

My little cousin got triple time for bar work christmas day! Like you said taxis are expensive and late night opening with drunk and abusive customers.

New years eve isn't of course a bank holiday, hence why it would be normal pay.

New years eve isn't of course a bank holiday, hence why it would be normal pay.

'Bank holidays and festive periods'.

Hence christmas day and new years eve being a festive period. It is common for pubs and bars to offer staff more pay as an incentive. Otherwise they get understaffed and or/ unmotivated staff like the OP.

We've discussed this in the office today, and we all agree that any pub or bar that pays staff minimum wage for NYE should be the subject of a boycott. It's not right for a business owner to increase his margins by underpaying staff for what will surely be a nightmare shift for all barfolks.

Pubs are a serious matter in the Origin office, as you can tell.

Surely working in a bar the assumption on the wages would be that you'll get more tips than normal due to being busier and this will make up for it? It's worth asking about the taxi though, even a contribution to the extra it will cost due to the day, if you do it nicely it shouldn't cause any problems.

Tips in the city centre! That'll be the day!

We've discussed this in the office today, and we all agree that any pub or bar that pays staff minimum wage for NYE should be the subject of a boycott. It's not right for a business owner to increase his margins by underpaying staff for what will surely be a nightmare shift for all barfolks.

Pubs are a serious matter in the Origin office, as you can tell.

Completely agree. The bar is making bigger margins yet won't pay staff appropriately. It's disgraceful.

To the OP: I'd get together with your work colleagues and reproach the manager, otherwise you have no chance of a raise.

If that doesn't work remind them that other bars, paying more, will be glad of the extra staff new years eve.

Tips in the city centre! That'll be the day!

Depends on the bar I suppose. People might be more likely to tip in Corp where drinks are dirt cheap, for example, than you are in a pub that serves expensive foreign beers at £4 a pint. I for one, hope that you get some nice tips, OP.

Archived