Working New Year's Eve for minimum wage

when i used to work behind various bars in stafford and sheffield (aged between 18 and 29) i always HAD to work new years eve as i couldnt work christmas eve due to family and travelling commitments.

the only year i got paid extra was the millenium when i got triple pay- a whopping (!) £10 an hour....and ive never had my taxis paid for me.

but, in fairness, whilst it was hard graft we always had a great night behind the bar and then as soon as the punters left- then it was our reward time and our turn to party.

i cant remember a new years eve ive worked when there hasnt been a staff lock-in, where we've either put money behind the bar in advance, brought our own, or frankly just not bothered- with the bosses permission! if your boss isnt up for that there are other options to try and make the best of the night.

why not club together for taxis, book in advance- make sure you say you are staff (i.e. not going to be troublesome passengers!) and then have a houseparty after?

then, new years resolution....new job! :(

x

I guess you have already tried to pool the taxi with your mates to cut the cost.

Yeah, but unfortunately we all live in different parts of the city.

As for speaking to the manager, it's the owner that calls the shots, and he only ever pops in to criticise us and then swans out again.

And if any other bars do want an extra member of staff, just ask!

Might not be in a contract but its par for the course to get more cash for bank holidays and festive periods. I think this is bad form from your employer.

My little cousin got triple time for bar work christmas day! Like you said taxis are expensive and late night opening with drunk and abusive customers.

It's not par for the course. Any additional payment is a gratuity from an employer - one that will be rapidly forgotten when they disallow holidays or pay raises in 2012.

There is no legal requirement to pay extra - just as staff won't be willing to work unpaid any time soon.

Its a crap position to be in,but one that is inherent in bar work and most retail work i'm afraid.

It's not par for the course. Any additional payment is a gratuity from an employer - one that will be rapidly forgotten when they disallow holidays or pay raises in 2012.

There is no legal requirement to pay extra - just as staff won't be willing to work unpaid any time soon.

Its a crap position to be in,but one that is inherent in bar work and most retail work i'm afraid.

May not be part of a written contract. Might be in some contracts though.

Regardless, the employer has a psychological contract with employees before we even get into morals, thats why the smart places will pay up, it makes Business sense to pay your staff properly or the best ones will leave and you will also be understaffed on the night as people take a sickie.

And if you are understaffed or miserable staff = unhappy customers.

Unhappy customers = less profits.

Oh no, I'd rather be poor and have my morals.

im guessing the bar you are working in caters to the younger party crowd?

seriously, if you want to get a better working environment (and more chance if tips!) id start looking for jobs in more locally/old man style pubs.

on the whole, less aggro, better behaved (mostly!) customers, shorter hours, day shift options and just a bit more chilled out.

there are places i can think of like this in town, or on the edge :)

i used to work busy town centre pubs and even when youve got door staff on your side if you havent got management to back you up on the basics it can be soul destroying. give me a family run smaller boozer anyday working for people who will value you :)

and i mean that both as a member of staff as well as a customer!

x

im guessing the bar you are working in caters to the younger party crowd?

seriously, if you want to get a better working environment (and more chance if tips!) id start looking for jobs in more locally/old man style pubs.

x

It's actually a bit of an "old man pub", but it's still not a great place to work, mainly because of the attitude of the owner. Total scrooge.

It's actually a bit of an "old man pub", but it's still not a great place to work, mainly because of the attitude of the owner. Total scrooge.

oh eck...i dont know what to say then apart from you have my sympathies :(

i hope you are able to make the best of a rough deal :(

x

Archived