Working New Year's Eve for minimum wage

Are you a moderator,and if so should you make comments saying someone is totally incorrect.

Do you think that moderators shouldn't be allowed to have opinions?

The rule of thumb is that they don't moderate threads in which they are involved in the discussion.

If I was you I'd be looking to quit the job.

Why not organise a Wildcat strike amongst your fellow employees, your employer will be screwed when no staff turn up on NYE. He'll probably ring you up, offer to pay triple and taxis to and fro. If not he is going to be losing out on a lot of potential earnings on one of the busiest nights of the year.

It's not like it is a career, or a job worth keeping for the long term, you don't need him/her as a reference on your CV.

Cause them hardship. They shall learn a very valuable lesson. Don't mess with your employees. For it is they and their work that allows the business to function and turn a profit.

You might be right, triple pay on NYE and fired on New Years Day. What a plan.

Do you think that moderators shouldn't be allowed to have opinions?

The rule of thumb is that they don't moderate threads in which they are involved in the discussion.

I would not stop someone from having opin ions but the expression of opinions in a over-robust manner is questionable.Thanks for pointing out the rule of thumb which seems eminently sensible,C.

That’s the problem with casual jobs like bar work ……….. its hire and fire, if the OP kicks up too much fuss they will be easily replaced.

The employer has the whip-hand and the worker needs the money.It is an unequal relationship.Exponents of the free market cannot grasp this as they have never been that desperate for a crust-they are usually the public-school type who sleep out for one night to empathise with the homeless.Very daring.

Hi everyone!

I work part-time at a city centre bar. All staff are expected to work either NYE or Christmas eve, and we all assumed that we'd be receiving a bonus or time and a half for working these incredibly busy, late shifts. Turns out that we've got to do it for minimum wage. I understand that there's no legal requirement to pay us extra, but the taxi home on NYE (if I can even get one) will cost me the equivalent of at least 2 hours work and it's barely going to be even worth my while, especially when the clientèle are loud, drunk and sometimes abusive.

I know a lot of people are without jobs at the moment, so it's not popular to complain, but suppose I just wanted a moan! Am I justified in moaning? I want to say something to my boss, but I don't know if I'll end up being sacked...

If you want to speak to him he will be in London seeing the New Year in at the Savoy in a cloud of expensive Froggy champagne and lots of brightly coloured balloons.

Hi everyone!

I work part-time at a city centre bar. All staff are expected to work either NYE or Christmas eve, and we all assumed that we'd be receiving a bonus or time and a half for working these incredibly busy, late shifts. Turns out that we've got to do it for minimum wage. I understand that there's no legal requirement to pay us extra, but the taxi home on NYE (if I can even get one) will cost me the equivalent of at least 2 hours work and it's barely going to be even worth my while, especially when the clientèle are loud, drunk and sometimes abusive.

I know a lot of people are without jobs at the moment, so it's not popular to complain, but suppose I just wanted a moan! Am I justified in moaning? I want to say something to my boss, but I don't know if I'll end up being sacked...

I cant beleive anyone would work for the normal rate and be expected to pay for a taxi home,its taking the mick .

Archived