New zealand recommendations

Visited Auckland in October (rugby world cup).As previously memtioned go up the Skytower for fantastic views.

also consider the Sky jump.Not cheap but well worth it.

Also try the wine tours on Waikiki island.They can be booked on Auckland Harbour.

Hope you enjoy it.

I am looking at the sky jump for my partner, I wouldn't say I am scared of heights but I am scared of jumping from them:hihi:

A helicopter ride around Mount Cook is a nice experience. Not too expensive as I recall.

We are back to the I am not scared of heights but I am scared of dropping from them thing:D I don't trust helicopters:suspect: Although I was nearly up for the helicopter ride over manhatten.

Hi, me and my husband went to New Zealand for 3 weeks in Jan 2010, I'll tell you what we did so it might give you some inspiration.

We flew into Auckland, stayed there for a few days (to be honest it wasnt that exciting, Sky Tower was good and went to Kelly Tarltons Antarctic Encounter and Underwater World but apart from that there really wasnt much to see or do there).

We then hired a car and drove up to Paihia, really nice little beach town and did the Hole in the Rock boat tour. On the way up stopped in Whangarei to go to Zion Wildlife Park (from the Lion Man TV series). Would really recommend it, you have to book in advance as they only do private tours as its not an open park but it means you get to see the lions/tigers/cheetahs etc really close up and speak to the people from the show.

We then went down to Rotorua stopping at Hobbiton on the way (Matamata) and did the Hobbiton Tour. If you like LOTR then definately stop here as they are currently filming The Hobbit on location here so you might be able to see some of it! Rotorua stinks of eggs because of the geothermal activity and we still havent quite got the smell out of the towels but we visited Hellsgate which is a geothermal spa and also some sort of hotel that got buried in a volcanic eruption a few hundred years ago but cant remember the name of the place now.

Then drove down to Wellington, took a slight detour to see Mount Doom (Mt Ngauruhoe) and Mordor. Wellington was a really nice city and we did a really good LOTR locations tour here (are you picking up on the theme of our honeymoon haha).

Then got a ferry over to the South Island and drove to Kaikoura for whale watching, then back over the top to Nelson for a bit of a break from all the sight seeing. Nice beach and was really hot and sunny so stayed here for a few days to re-coup.

Drove down to Franz Josef, the west side of the south island has the best scenary in my opinion. North Island is very green and rolling hills like England but the South has the huge mountain ranges. We hiked up Franz Josef glacier which was very very scary and not an experience I'd do again but if you like an adrenaline rush then you should def do this.

Then onto Queenstown, again more LOTR tours but to be honest I was disappointed as there wasnt as much obvious locations to visit as in Wellington and it was the most expensive of the tours so would say you could give it a miss. In general Queenstown was nice but absolutely full of backpackers! It seemed a bit like Ibiza down by the lake and unless thats your thing would stay just outside the centre to avoid the noise.

Drove onto Dunedin and went on a wildlife day excursion. Would really recommend this as we got to see sea lions, penguins, albatross and dolphins really close up in their natural habitats (hiding in little huts and such).

Finally ended up in Christchurch, really nice city and the most 'English' of cities we visited, reminded me of somewhere like York. Then flew back from there!

Hope you have a nice time, it was the best holiday we've ever been on and New Zealand is a lovely country you'll have a great time I'm sure!

I returned from NZ 2 weeks ago where we toured the North Island by campervan. Last year we did the same around the South Island. Basically, North Island for beaches and sea that you can swim in and South Island for stunning scenery, they have great beaches but cooler. It will be autumn when you arrive and the colours are supposed to be spectacular. It's a lot to think you can cover the 2 islands in 3 weeks as you would just be traveling. If you asked which was the best I couldn't answer except it's wonderful. Cost of living has risen quite a bit too. Their NZ wine is 3 times more than in Morrisons. Have a great time.

Archived