How many more will go bust?

With the economy in such a fabulous state, I just wondered how many retail businesses will go bust by Easter.

Barratts have just announced redundancies; La Senza and Hawkins Bazaar have gone into administration, HMV and Thorntons have issued profit warnings, and this is just the most recent news.

Well, I suppose at least we are all in it together.

How many can truly blame the economy?

Thorntons has been treading water for the last 8 years at least - especially with a sudden surge of grab bags in supermarkets. Why visit a Thorntons for toffee when it's in every Morrisons.

How many can truly blame the economy?

Thorntons has been treading water for the last 8 years at least - especially with a sudden surge of grab bags in supermarkets. Why visit a Thorntons for toffee when it's in every Morrisons.

My guess would be most.The BBC have an interesting guide to some of teh companies in trouble. Many of them are blaming the state of teh economy:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13977255

Rent increased by RPI +0.5% every year for 9 years.

Baccy and beer DUTY increased above RPI every year for even longer and some more!

People spending more in rent, more in tax, more on rent, more on debt, more more more.

Leaving them with less to spend elsewhere, they keep cutting back and back and back on everything but the essentials/addictions.

Only the black market can save us.

Bye bye scumlords, you just sucked all the blood out the host and now it is unable to get the nectar, meaning no blood left for you to suck on.

With the economy in such a fabulous state, I just wondered how many retail businesses will go bust by Easter.

Barratts have just announced redundancies; La Senza and Hawkins Bazaar have gone into administration, HMV and Thorntons have issued profit warnings, and this is just the most recent news.

There are many business thriving maybe its simple,the public dont want the products the companies are offering for reasons of being too expensive or just rubbish.Maybe the company directors have sucked the life out of them with bonuses or just not kept up with the times.

Times are changing, technology has changed, some shops are still stuck in the past.

Why would anybody go to HMV these days? Chart CDs are cheaper in supermarkets, more obscure ones are easier to find & cheaper on the internet. Then there are downloads too. Why would you take a trip out to HMV to pay full RRP for your music? Most people don't. Unless their business changes with the times they'll die.

The internet is a big factor. Online sales increase every year.

Are WH Smith still making money? They seem to be another 'big name high street store' that's almost totally empty.

It's sad for the staff, but a lot of these businesses have been run into the ground by incompetent management.

I think Thorntons cut their own throats before the recession by selling products in supermarkets. I used to see Thorntons choc/toffee as niche products,but selling big cheap n nasty boxes in supermarkets put me off buying from them.

And of course the introduction of other foreign products like Lindz or whatever they are called,didn't help.

I wanted a box of Thorntons today as part of a birthday present. The box I wanted was original price £12 but reduced to £8 in the sale. However the card shop next door had the same chocs for £4.

I agree, selling Thorntons in other places has de-valued their brand and meant it's not necessary for people to visit their shops.

Archived